Amber Skye's Reviews > Looking for Alaska

Looking for Alaska by John Green

Jun 08, 2013

Read from April 28 to May 26, 2013

Actual rating was 4.5 stars at www.thereadingaddict.com

I adore John Green. He is an absolute genius. Sometimes I'll read a passage of his and just want to cry from the sheer brilliance. Green can make even the simplest of statements beautiful. I'm convinced he could make a scene in which a girl brushes her teeth sound profound and incredible. Reading his books is an experience unlike any other.

While I didn't enjoy Looking for Alaska as much as I did The Fault in Our Stars, I was still blown away by many of the impressive subjects Green tackles. From suicidal teenagers to the deepest fears of human mortality, the novel delves into a world of hurt and insecurity. It's a difficult read, but it's also one that will stick with you long after you turn the last page.

The characters are not the kind of people I'd usually be drawn to. Crude and sometimes cruel, they aren't exactly likable. However, their faults seem to reflect many of the flaws within every human. You cannot help but relate to each of them in small ways. Even when I was annoyed with Alaska or Pudge, I found myself rooting for their happiness.

If you are looking for swoon-worthy romance or a lighthearted read, stay far, far away from Looking for Alaska. This is a dark, heartbreaking novel and not for the fainthearted reader. The inappropriate language, smoking, drinking, sex, and other "unacceptable" subject matter will probably drive many readers away. I'd definitely recommend this one to readers over the age of sixteen.

Overall, I would highly recommend this novel to my fellow readers. However, my recommendation comes with a warning label: this isn't a book you can just read and forget. It's one that will keep you contemplating deep issues long after you finish. So if you decide to give it a shot, be prepared for the dark story and the deep thoughts Green's words will provoke.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Looking for Alaska.

Quotes Amber Liked

John Green
“The only way out of the labyrinth of suffering is to forgive.”

John Green
“Francois Rabelais. He was a poet. And his last words were "I go to seek a Great Perhaps." That's why I'm going. So I don't have to wait until I die to start seeking a Great Perhaps.”

John Green
“When adults say, "Teenagers think they are invincible" with that sly, stupid smile on their faces, they don't know how right they are. We need never be hopeless, because we can never be irreparably broken. We think that we are invincible because we are. We cannot be born, and we cannot die. Like all energy, we can only change shapes and sizes and manifestations. They forget that when they get old. They get scared of losing and failing. But that part of us greater than the sum of our parts cannot begin and cannot end, and so it cannot fail.”

John Green
“If drunk were cookies, I'd be Famous Amos”

John Green
“Imagining the future is a kind of nostalgia. (...) You spend your whole life stuck in the labyrinth, thinking about how you'll escape it one day, and how awesome it will be, and imagining that future keeps you going, but you never do it. You just use the future to escape the present.”

John Green
“Before I got here, I thought for a long time that the way out of the labyrinth was to pretend that it did not exist, to build a small, self-sufficient world in the back corner of the endless maze and to pretend that I was not lost, but home.”

John Green
“So I walked back to my room and collapsed on the bottom bunk, thinking that if people were rain, I was drizzle and she was a hurricane.”

John Green
“When I look at my room, I see a girl who loves books.”

John Green
“Have you really read all those books in your room?”

Alaska laughing- “Oh God no. I’ve maybe read a third of ‘em. But I’m going to read them all. I call it my Life’s Library. Every summer since I was little, I’ve gone to garage sales and bought all the books that looked interesting. So I always have something to read.”

John Green
“Thomas Edison's last words were "It's very beautiful over there". I don't know where there is, but I believe it's somewhere, and I hope it's beautiful.”

John Green
“That is the fear: I have lost something important, and I cannot find it, and I need it. It is fear like if someone lost his glasses and went to the glasses store and they told him that the world had run out of glasses and he would just have to do without.”

John Green
“After all this time, it seems to me like straight and fast is the only way out- but I choose the labyrinth. The labyrinth blows, but I choose it.”

John Green
“We didn't talk much. But we didn't need to.”

John Green
“I'm sorry. I know you loved her. It was hard not to.”
tags: love

John Green
“I wanted so badly to lie down next to her on the couch, to wrap my arms around her and sleep. Not fuck, like in those movies. Not even have sex. Just sleep together in the most innocent sense of the phrase. But I lacked the courage and she had a boyfriend and I was gawky and she was gorgeous and I was hopelessly boring and she was endlessly fascinating. So I walked back to my room and collapsed on the bottom bunk, thinking that if people were rain, I was drizzle and she was hurricane.”

John Green
“If only we could see the endless string of consequences that result from our smallest actions. But we can't know better until knowing better is useless.”

John Green
“At some point we all look up and realize we are lost in a maze.”

John Green
“Scared isn't a good excuse. Scared is the excuse everyone has always used.”

John Green
“Because memories fall apart, too. And you're left with nothing.”

John Green
“I know so many last words. But I will never know hers.”

John Green
“We are greater than the sum of our parts.”

04/28/2013 marked as: currently-reading
05/26/2013 marked as: read

Summer I couldn't agree more wholeheartedly! TFiOS is my favourite Green book as well, Looking for Alaska comes second