Dree's Reviews > Let Us Now Praise Famous Men

Let Us Now Praise Famous Men by James Agee

Aug 16, 10

bookshelves: constant-reader, 2010-reads, classics, library-books-2010, memoir-biography-autobiography, the-south
Read from July 15 to August 16, 2010

I can't believe I got through an undergrad degree in American history and 2 years as a master's student in American history without ever reading even excerpts of this book.

I very much liked reading the parts about how the tenants and their families live--and how the families are so different in personality, hopes for the future in their kids (school, public appearance). I was a history major for a reason, and this interests me.

I also, though, enjoyed Agee's rambling thoughts on how he felt himself a spy, living with and interacting with those he is spying on, liking them, becoming friends with them. His worries about how he portrays them, and how, no matter what he writes, they will seem to be characters and not real people with depths he himself can never know.

These sections are hard to read because they are so rambly, but they are the same thoughts I struggled with in public history classes. The same thoughts other students/faculty generally didn't seem to either care much about or even understand what I was getting at.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Let Us Now Praise Famous Men.

07/15/2010 page 101