Bookaholics's Reviews > Nancy's Theory of Style

May 16, 10

Nancy's Theory of Style by Grace Coopersmith
Contemporary Romance- Chick Lit- May 18th, 2010
5 stars

Nancy's Theory of Style is a must read! This is the perfect feel good book for the summer. It is certainly one destined for my keeper shelf. If I could grade it more than 5 stars I would!

Usually contemporary or chick lit books are not my 1st choice. This is because the relationship and the dialogue have to be strong or I quickly lose interest. In paranormal or suspense romances at least there is the mystery or `magic' to keep me intrigued even if the main characters do not. But Grace Coopersmith has succeeded in writing a book that has a surprisingly poignant romance and witty dialogue that kept me in eager anticipation of what funny thing the main character would say or do next!

Nancy has the perfect life. She looks good, has money and a husband most women would envy. So why does she feel her perfect life is draining her? She decides to take a `break' from her husband. Now she can finally start the event business she always wanted. Unfortunately, her father and husband never felt she was serious. Her first step is to find an impeccable assistant. When she giddily hires the urbane Derek she knows she will be a success. As Nancy stumbles through each zany adventure she finds a strength and sense of purpose that she didn't know she had.

The wonderful thing about this book is how it slowly grows on you. Nancy is a rich socialite. And at first glance she seems like the typical blonde who is more concerned about her looks and status than other people and their misfortune. But as I grew to know Nancy, I grew to love her and so did her love interest. Nancy's personality is effervescent. She is like champagne, but instead of tickling your nose she tickles your funny bone and keeps you happily drunk on her view of life! (It reminded me of a modern day Georgette Heyer novel.)

On the surface this story is a funny, lighthearted and frothy read. As I mentioned earlier, Nancy does have rare style and grace. Her entertaining and outrageous personality carry this book! But Nancy also has unplumbed depths. I was surprised how invested I became in Nancy's struggles. Her growing pains as she realized who her real friends are and what really counts in life were very emotional. Although Grace Coopersmith cleverly disguises this story as a light chick lit, I found it a far deeper story. I was enthralled at Nancy's fortitude and courage as she finds both real love and herself. This book was empowering and uplifting. It kept a smile on my face long after I finished it. I can only hope Nancy's adventures continue!

Reviewed by Steph from the Bookaholics Romance Book Club
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nancy's Theory of Style.