Captain Sir Roddy, R.N. (Ret.)'s Reviews > Daniel Deronda

Daniel Deronda by George Eliot

Jul 27, 2010

bookshelves: british-literature, historical-fiction, victorian-literature, author-george-eliot, read-in-2010, everymans-library-editions, favorites
Recommended to Captain Sir Roddy, R.N. (Ret.) by: lonebearimages@gmail.com
Read from May 18 to July 26, 2010

I have just finished a leisurely eight-week group-read of George Eliot's last completed novel, Daniel Deronda, with my 'Anglophiles Anonymous' group on Shelfari.com. I very much enjoyed the experience of reading and discussing the book, section by section, each week. I am convinced that I got so much more out of it this way than if I'd read it by myself. Without the incentive of the group-read, I am also quite sure that this is a novel that I probably would not have even acquired, much less read.

The novel, first published in 1876, is quasi-Tolstoyan in scope and complexity. It has a whole raft of fairly interesting characters that border on being 'Dickensian.' While written in her characteristic style of 'social realism,' Eliot uses some quite elegant and sophisticated literary and plot devices too. For example, she is adept at using flashbacks to bounce characters and events back and forth in time. She also runs dual storylines through much of the novel, that are quite divergent at the beginning, but close in a relatively satisfying convergence near the end. Her use of allusion, allegory, and metaphor is deft and appropriate. Eliot, in writing this novel, is clearly didactic, without being overtly 'preachy' or academic like Tolstoy (e.g., Anna Karenina) or Victor Hugo (Les Miserables).

In some respects, for much of the first half of the novel I found myself more interested in the character and plot-threads associated with Gwendolen Harleth versus that of the eponymous Daniel Deronda. Gwendolen reminded me, at various times, of Jane Austen's 'Emma' or even Eliot's own 'Dorothea Brooke' (Middlemarch). With the convergence of Gwendolen's storyline with that of Daniel's, I did find that Daniel's story and character became much more compelling and interesting.

All in all, this is a novel about double-standards, redemption and balance. Eliot provides a fascinating portrait of the situation and lives of English and European Jews during the Victorian period, and particularly the nascent proto-Zionist movement and her interpretation of the Kaballistic philosophy. Eliot balances this portrait with a similar examination of the ways and social mores of the well-established English upper class. Eliot pulls off this balancing act superbly through having the novel's primary male protagonist, Daniel Deronda, having a foot in the both worlds. I was also completely taken with the intelligent young Jewish woman, Mirah Lapidoth. From her introduction, early on in the novel, I eagerly looked forward to her each of her appearances. The Meyrick family, especially Mrs. "Little Mother" Meyrick and her vivacious daughters, are splendidly wonderful characters. The novel also contains some characters that you simply love to hate, and others that you hate to love. Ambiguity and shades of gray abound.

In conclusion, I enjoyed reading George Eliot's last novel, Daniel Deronda, very much. I can say, however, that it did not affect me in the same visceral and emotional sort of way that her earlier books have; specifically, The Mill on the Floss, or Silas Marner. I could also tell that writing Daniel Deronda and telling this story was somehow quite important to George Eliot, and for that reason alone I am glad that I read it. While perhaps not as monumental as her Middlemarch masterpiece, this is a big and meaty novel and well worth reading. Four out of five stars for me.

***

[My review is based upon the 2003 Penguin Classics edition of Daniel Deronda, by George Eliot, 850 pages.:]
5 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Daniel Deronda.

06/05 page 185
19.94% "So well written, rich and complex! Needs to be read thoughtfully."
06/07 page 250
26.94% "Awesomely amazing! Eliot may be the best technician of the Victorian Era."
06/08 page 380
40.95% ""A mother's love, I often say, is like a tree that has got all the wood in it, from the very first it made.""
06/14 page 380
42.0% "I am reading this with my Shelfari.com book group (Anglophiles Anonymous) in a serial fashion, and we have just finished Book II: "Meeting Streams." A fabulous book!" 2 comments
06/23 page 380
42.0% "I am reading this with my Shelfari.com book group (Anglophiles Anonymous) in a serial fashion, and we have just finished Book III: "Maidens Choosing." A fabulous book!"
06/23 page 309
34.0% "I am reading this with my Shelfari.com book group (Anglophiles Anonymous) in a serial fashion, and we have just finished Book III: "Maidens Choosing." A fabulous book!"
06/28 page 403
45.0% "I am reading this with my Shelfari.com book group (Anglophiles Anonymous) in a serial fashion, and we have just finished Book IV: "Gwendolen Gets Her Choice." A fabulous book!"
07/03 page 509
57.0% "I am reading this with my Shelfari.com book group (Anglophiles Anonymous) in a serial fashion, and we have just finished Book V: "Mordecai." A fabulous book!"
07/18 page 705
79.0% "I am reading this with my Shelfari.com book group (Anglophiles Anonymous) in a serial fashion, and we have just finished Book VI: "The Mother and the Son." A fabulous novel!"
02/29 marked as: read
show 1 hidden update…

message 1: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca I hear very different from her other works are you finding that to be true Chris?

Captain Sir Roddy, R.N. (Ret.) Rebecca, this novel is certainly quite different than say, "Adam Bede," "The Mill on the Floss," or "Silas Marner." It has a lot in common with "Middlemarch" though. I am really loving it, and enjoying seeing the dual plot-threads beginning to converge. A very cool novel to read!