the golden witch.'s Reviews > Darkness Becomes Her

Darkness Becomes Her by Kelly Keaton

Oct 15, 11

bookshelves: galley-grab-and-pulse-it, arc-galley, ebook, teenage-shennanigans, 2011, first-reads-early-reviewers, reviewed, own, own-1st-edition
Read from April 25 to 26, 2011 — I own a copy

I managed to read this at the very last moment through Simon & Schulster's Pulse-It program, bless them. And I'm thankful - because this book was totally awesome and has been added to my wishlist.

This is the second book I've read this year that uses Greek mythology to turn old tales into new. And it works, beautifully so, in a future that's all too credible mixed with the incredible; a post-hurricane ravaged and destroyed New Orleans (aka New 2) 18 years from now, bought from the US government and protected by the Novem, the nine oldest families of New Orleans and all of them have supernatural DNA.

I think that Keaton did this in such a sneaky but awesome way - mixing the tangible with the intangible, the old and the new. It seems entirely possible that the US may just abandon New Orleans if it gets destroyed again in the near future, with someone else buying the city (or entire state of Louisiana, for that matter) from the US government to turn into a little sovereign nation all its own. And now, with her skill in crafting this book, it also seems completely possible that there are forces that have always been in that area that are trying to protect it from outside forces, be they natural or supernatural in origin.

I have to say, I really enjoyed this book. What stopped me from giving it one more star was how quickly Ari falls for Sebastian - that seemed a little too impossible, even within the realm of the supernatural, just because of the natures of time and attraction in of themselves. I would have liked that part of the story to stretch itself out just a bit more before the romance bit happened.

But the character who really steals the show is little Violet. I've seen a lot of other reviews who all seem to agree on this point - Violet needs her own novella at the very least, and I'm glad she had a central part in the ending of this book (can't wait for the next one) alongside Ari and the rest of the Novem. I just kind of wanted to hug her and not let go. And the albino mini-alligator didn't hurt, either.

Either way, the story really came into its own by the last third of the book, really at its best. Everyone and everything worked together once Ari figured out what her curse was. This is both Keaton's strength and weakness - that it took until this last third of the book, but also that it came together at all, considering how much she was mixing into the urban, modern-day setting of the story.

Regardless, I can't wait to add this to my little library here at home. It definitely deserves a place on the shelf of any fan of the supernatural. I can't wait until the sequel!

(posted to pulse-it, shelfari, librarything, and witchoftheatregoing.wordpress.com)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Darkness Becomes Her.

04/25/2011 page 69