Helmisade's Reviews > The Year of Living Biblically: One Man's Humble Quest to Follow the Bible as Literally as Possible

The Year of Living Biblically by A.J. Jacobs

I picked this one up at a sale in a local bookstore. It sounded like an interesting read, and potentially funny too.

I was definitely not dissappointed. Jacobs is my kind of funny and I laughed out loud several times. Of course, I am a Christian and know the Bible fairly well so a lot of this was "inside fun" for me.

I enjoyed the way Jacobs combined his attempts to follow the Bible literally with stories about his family and personal development. The way he represents the people he meets (of different churches and communities) is kind and fair and he speaks out when he knows that his own ideas are affecting his thoughts and judgments.

After a fun and thought-provoking book I was, however, quite dissappointed with the final part. Jacobs doesn't really even attempt to come up with an original thought, but instead goes with the ever-popular "make your own religion". Take the parts of Bible that make sense to you and forget the rest. Jacobs then backs this up with a coupple of quotes from his spiritual advisors. To me this is a coward's choice. He's basically decided to not say anything at all about the Bible. After some profound and interesting questions and viewpoints I expected more from Mr. Jacobs.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Year of Living Biblically.