Ali's Reviews > A New Song

A New Song by Jan Karon

May 21, 10

Read from May 16 to 21, 2010

I have had the boxset of the first 6 of this series for ages - but my TBR being what it is they keep being over looked. This one is number 5. My sister said this was her favourite of the first 6,and it might be mine too - I can't decide.

In this installment we find the adorable father Tim, and his wife Cynthia leaving MItford for a while to take up an interim position in another parish, the island parish of Whitecap. They take Barnabas the dog and Violet the cat but Father Tim's adopted son Dooley stays in Mitford before returning to school.

During the time away Father Tim encounters a new group of people who need his ministry. There is the musical recluse next door, a woman suffering depression and her young son, a young man who decides he'll try to find love through the small ads and a church organist who arrives soon after Tim. As well as that he and Cynthia have to battle storms and homesickness as they get to grips with isalnd life and come to know their new neighbours.

Mitford is never completely left behind though, and Tim and Cynthia receive regular updates through the phone conversations they have with the people they left behind. Dooley gets into a spot of bother, and later gets a girlfriend, and there's rather a mystery surrounding the tenant at the old rectory.

The pace is gentle and melodic, the story has a strong Christian bias of course (this is christian fiction) but can be enjoyed by anyone - the church and I parted company a long time ago. It is a little evangelical and I suopose some might find these books a little twee - but that is part of the charm of the Mitford books. This is a marvelous feel good read - the people (on the whole) are lovely, often quirky and funny, Mitford has been a place that any reader of these books would probably like to go to, and Whitecap the island parish in this novel has the same sort of feel.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A New Song.