Aban (Aby) 's Reviews > Factory Girls: From Village to City in a Changing China

Factory Girls by Leslie T. Chang

May 16, 10

Read in May, 2010

In 'Factory Girls', Leslie Chang describes the lives and working conditions of young women who move from rural areas to work in Dongguan, a town in China dominated by factories and little else. (She also, at times, interweaves the story of her own family, who left China to settle in the United States.)

I certainly learned a great deal about the lives of these young women and was filled with admiration for them in many ways:
- their courage in leaving their villages to travel to a strange town to seek employment. (Some were as young as sixteen years of age.)
- their determination to work extraordinarily hard to study and better themselves
- their self-reliance

Sadly, the 'system' often failed these factory girls:
- they were not trained adequately or only in the most limited way
- they found themselves having to lie about their training and experience, in order to obtain better jobs
- the self-improvement and language schools they attended were sub-standard, to say the least

All the information in the book was of considerable interest. However, I found Chang's style of writing very dull! This surprised me, as her book had rave reviews. In fact, by the middle of the book, I had to force myself to continue reading, and gave up two thirds of the way through!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Factory Girls.