Kate's Reviews > The Mulberry Tree

The Mulberry Tree by Jude Deveraux

There are two books in my collection that I read occasionally when I need a light read and something kind of fun, and this is one of them. It is the story of Lillian Manville, the wife of billionaire James Manville, who is killed when his plane crashes in the middle of the night. He dies, leaving Lillian a decrepit old farm house and a mysterious note that reads, "Find out what happened." Lillian undergoes plastic surgery and moves to the farm in rural Virginia, trying to reassemble her life, which has been lived in the lap of luxury for 12 years. Now on her own, she relies on the strapping Matthew Longacre, her new boarder, and some friends to help her rebuild her life, discover the truth of what happened to her husband, and prevent her deceased husband's half-brother and half-sister from destroying the Manville empire with their narcissistic greediness.

I love this book. It is, in places, so beyond belief as to be grossly entertaining, and at the same time there are parts of it that I can't get enough of. Matthew Longacre is the leading man I love to hate--at one point he tells Lillian (who is newly-named Bailey James) that the pressure is off for them to be anything more than friends, and not two pages later, he kisses her in front of his whole entire family! Plus he agrees to rent one room from her and winds up taking over her whole entire house, and he is basically reverting back to his high school years while living at home licking his wounds from his failed marriage.

The half-brother and sister are so evil, and the people who rally around Lillian/Bailey are so overwhelmingly selfless and wealthy themselves, you really have to read this book with an eye to entertainment versus believability. James Manville makes Bill Gates look like a pauper. Seriously.

A fun, quick read, as close to a romance novel as I'll ever truly get and still enjoy it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Mulberry Tree.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Leslie What is your other re-read book? I love the Mulberry tree---based on other reviews, others don't love it the way I do. Jude Deveraux has written several of my favorites. The Summerhouse and a knight in shinning armor are others that I re-read every couple of years.

Kate My other choice is Bet Me by Jennifer Crusie. I really liked The Summerhouse as well!

Angelwinters Thanks for the great review and sharing "Bet Me" with us. Have you read anything with a similar feel to The Mulberry Tree? I really liked it, it's probably my favorite by her.