Samantha Oledan's Reviews > City of Bones

City of Bones by Cassandra Clare

First reading: January 2010

It has been three years since I have read City of Bones for the first time. I did not know how much I would get sucked in the story. The main reason why I wanted to read this book then was because Stephenie Meyer, who used to be my favorite author during my Twilight days, recommended it.

Now that the movie version of City of Bones is finally out, I decided to read the book again to refresh my memory before watching the film. I couldn't believe how much details I have already forgotten. It still felt like I was reading the book for the first time. I really love Cassandra Clare's writing style, and the way she builds up her stories by incorporating intricate plot twists is really captivating.

I still have not seen the movie version even though it has been in theaters for a month now. I am kind of worried that my own imagination of the story would be distorted once I see other people's interpretation of it.

All in all, I could still say that The Mortal Instruments series is still at the top of my all-time favorite books (this includes The Infernal Devices, as well).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read City of Bones.

Quotes Samantha Liked

Cassandra Clare
“Have you fallen in love with the wrong person yet?'
Jace said, "Unfortunately, Lady of the Haven, my one true love remains myself."
..."At least," she said, "you don't have to worry about rejection, Jace Wayland."
"Not necessarily. I turn myself down occasionally, just to keep it interesting.”

Cassandra Clare
“One of the Silent Brothers is here to see you. Hodge sent me to wake you up. Actually he offered to wake you himself, but since it's 5 a.m., I figured you'd be less cranky if you had something nice to look at."
"Meaning you?"
"What else?”

Cassandra Clare
“Out of the corner of her eye she thought she saw Jace shoot her a look of white rage - but when she glanced at him, he looked as he always did: easy, confident, slightly bored.
"In future, Clarissa," he said, "it might be wise to mention that you already have a man in your bed, to avoid such tedious situations."
"You invited him into bed?" Simon demanded, looking shaken.
"Ridiculous, isn't it?" said Jace. "We would never have all fit."
"I didn't invite him into bed," Clary snapped. "We were just kissing."
"Just kissing?" Jace's tone mocked her with its false hurt. "How swiftly you dismiss our love.”

Cassandra Clare
“What's this?" he demanded, looking from Clary to his companions, as if they might know what she was doing there.
"It's a girl," Jace said,recovering his composure. "Surely you've seen girls before, Alec. Your sister Isabelle is one.”

Cassandra Clare
“What are all these?" Clary asked.
"Vials of holy water, blessed knives, steel and silver blades," Jace said, piling the weapons on the floor beside him, "electrum wire - not much use at the moment but it's always good to have spares - silver bullets, charms of protetion, crucifixes, stars of David-"
"Jesus," said Clary
"I doubt he'd fit."
"Jace." Clary was appalled.”

Cassandra Clare
“Where's Simon?" Clary interrupted.

Isabelle wobbled. "He's a rat," she said darkly.

Did he do something to you?" Alec was full of brotherly concern. "Did he touch you? If he tried anything-"

No, Alec," Isabelle said irritably. "Not like that. He's a rat."

She's drunk," said Jace, beginning to turn away in disgust.

I'm not," Isabelle said indignantly. "Well, maybe a little, but that's not the point. The point is, Simon drank one of those blue drinks- I told him not to, but he didn't listen- and he turned into a rat.”

Cassandra Clare
“And next time you're planning to injure yourself to get me attention, just remember that a little sweet talk works wonders.”

09/12/2013 marked as: currently-reading
09/12/2013 page 42
8.0% "I'm reading this again to refresh my memory before I watch the movie. I can't believe how much I've forgotten about this story, considering that this is my most loved book series!"
09/28/2013 marked as: read