Yune's Reviews > This Book Is Overdue!: How Librarians and Cybrarians Can Save Us All

This Book Is Overdue! by Marilyn Johnson

May 15, 10

liked it
bookshelves: nonfiction

Johnson's last book was on obituaries, and the coolest ones, she kept finding, were those of librarians. Thus this book.

I liked this because of the subject material -- I worked full-time in a library for a bit, and am a devoted patron of my local public one. At one point I was offered a job as the technology specialist for an academic branch; I know now much technology is shaping the role of librarians. I probably spent as much time troubleshooting wireless connections as I did subjugating the microfiche reader, or helping folks figure out which electronic database to use as reshelving physical volumes.

Johnson delves into a much broader ranger of topics, from how the Patriot Act threatens the privacy of library records to librarians' blogs or Second Life presences. But it was a little too all over the place; each chapter brought something kind of randomly new. And it was all very much presented from Johnson's perspective, with her own issues exploring the virtual world of Second Life taking as much space as the actual interviews with librarians there. Her voice is readable but not particularly engaging, so I could have done with less of her presence.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read This Book Is Overdue!.