Katie's Reviews > Clockwork Angel

Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare

Dec 13, 14

bookshelves: favorites, steampunk-cyberpunk-dieselpunk, swoon-worthy-boys, cover-love, favorite-heroines, simon-schuster, best-love-triangles, i-ship-it, favorite-heroes
Read from September 12 to 14, 2010

And commence fangirl love. I don't think I can even write a legitimate review about this book. I it finished over a week ago, and I'm still thinking about it. I'm practically counting the days until the next book comes out. This book is insanely amazing.

First, let's talk about the characters. I liked Clary from The Mortal Instruments, but I didn't find her a particularly compelling protagonist. Tessa, on the other hand, is endearing and makes you want to hear her story. She has this innocent quality at the beginning, and you watch her lose her naivety and embrace the uglier side of life without getting bitter - it's like the epitome of YA character development, all rolled into one character in book one of a series. Her interaction with the other characters is incredible, as well.

Which brings me to the boys. And I thought Jace was awesome. I totally forgot about him when I met Will and Jem. Will is a lot like Jace - sarcastic, annoyingly charming, and keeps his true emotions buried. You find yourself equally repulsed by his cruelty and attracted to the glimpses of humanity Clare offers us throughout the story. He's a bigger jerk than Jace ever was, and yet, I already like him better.

As for Jem, I would marry him tomorrow. You know, if he lived in modern times...and I wasn't a mundane and he wasn't a shadowhunter...and if he were real. But that's not all that important, right? Anyway, he's totally unlike any other Cassie Clare character - he's nice like Simon, but he's also intellectual and artistic. I love that he has the weakness, that it keeps him from being as good of a shadowhunter but also makes him more understanding and accepting, more gracious. Ladies, this boy is incredible. I'm just sayin'.

I've read some negative reviews about Clare's writing style, but I didn't find it distracting. She writes in 3rd person omniscient. She also takes some time setting up the story at the beginning instead of jumping straight into the action. The book is really long for YA. All these "taboos" only add to the beauty of her style, though. The way she wrote the story is almost an extension of the time period, a reflection of the Victorian culture and how they wrote books back then - with a modern twist.

If you haven't read this book yet, go buy it. Now. It's worth getting the hardback. If you liked The Mortal Instruments, you'll love this.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Clockwork Angel.