Katie's Reviews > The Luxe

The Luxe by Anna Godbersen

May 15, 2010

bookshelves: historical, harper-collins
Read in October, 2009

A friend recommended this book to me a long time ago, but I didn't pick it up until last week. I was almost dissuaded by the glowing review on the back by Cecily von Ziegesar since I'm not a fan of her GOSSIP GIRL series, but I was pleasantly surprised to find the sensuality and romance in this book a good deal less graphic than I'd first suspected.

The story follows four privileged teenagers living in Manhattan - Elizabeth and Diana Holland, Henry Schoonmaker, and Penelope Hayes - as they navigate through the manners and duties of New York's wealthy elite. Elizabeth is the darling of newspapers and her family's only hope for securing a lost fortune, but she keeps a secret that could ruin her while rascal Henry faces the horror of marriage to a society girl of his father's choice. Through the drama and heartbreak, Penelope, a ruthless social climber, toys with the lives of her "friends" in hopes of getting what she's always wanted: a top spot in society.

THE LUXE mixes history and young love in a book that had me from the beginning. Godbersen tells the story in third person omniscient POV, a refresher from the popular constrained views. I'm excited for the rest of this series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Luxe.