Buggy's Reviews > Glory in Death

Glory in Death by J.D. Robb
Rate this book
Clear rating

by
3099666
's review
Apr 24, 14

bookshelves: lit-boyfriend, rom-susp, shelf-10, kickass-heroine
Read from August 21 to 25, 2010

Opening Line: "The dead were her business."

I originally started JD Robb’s In Death series because it was recommended to me by well… everyone. And Yes it is good. In fact I ended up liking this 2nd instalment even more then the first, however (except for Roarke) I don't totally love it either. The writing is top notch and Robb spins an easy to read, dark mystery filled with lots of interesting suspects(including Roarke again.) But I’m just not a fan of the police procedurals and therefore large parts of this book dragged for me. Particularly when Eve very dryly and very frequently interrogated the many suspects (these parts read like furniture assembly instructions) and in the end I couldn’t have cared less about whodunit. I was reading strictly for the romance and a certain someone named Roarke.

Sigh… Irish lilting, button carrying, patient, unwaveringly romantic, sexy, mystery man Roarke. If only he existed in the real world. Yes I have developed a serious literary crush on him and he’s what keeps me coming back to this series. I love how he is tough yet tender with Eve while accepting her unconditionally just the way she is.

Speaking of Eve, although I still find her character very difficult to like she does soften here some, allowing herself to gradually except the little pockets of peace Roarke creates for her. I’m also beginning to realize that Roarke is equally as damaged as Eve and that’s what draws the two of them together, making their developing relationship worth watching. One of my favourite parts of this book would be the afterwards of an explosive confrontation when Eve finally, finally lets Roarke in. (Well that and their little moonlit trip to casa del Roarke in Mexico)

The future aspect (its New York 2058) which I found unnecessary and gimmicky in the first book has been expanded slightly and while not distracting it does provide an interesting aspect that I enjoyed this time. (I really want an Autochef) There are also some great secondary characters here; and I particularly liked Eve’s troublesome relationship with Roarke’s man-servant Summerset and her wild, no excuses nightclub singing girlfriend Mavis.

GLORY IN DEATH sees Lieutenant Eve Dallas searching for a serial killer of prominent career women. Eve follows the clues and interrogates a lot of suspects, getting her thick skin bruised in the process. As the clues take her closer to those she cares about like Roarke and her boss, Eve becomes relentless in her search for the killer, putting everything else secondary. Its Roarke who sees how tired and overworked she is and forces her to step back and recharge (in his spa tub!) In the end everyone’s bloody, the killers caught (I never did guess that one but then again I wasn’t really trying) and damn if Roarke hasn’t set things up so I just have to read the next book Immortal in Death. Cheers!
25 likes · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Glory in Death.
sign in »

Reading Progress

08/24/2010 page 145
49.0%
show 1 hidden update…

Comments (showing 1-28 of 28) (28 new)

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ronyell (new)

Ronyell Awesome Review!!! Roarke sounds like an awesome character!!!


Buggy Thanks Ronyell, He is definetly one of my faverite heroes.


message 3: by Luna (new)

Luna To me Roarke is best part of series:D


Buggy I agree with you Luna


Tammy Walton Grant Nice review, Buggy - I feel the same as you about them. I'm just starting #3 - Immortal in Death.


Dina "But I’m just not a fan of the police procedurals and therefore large parts of this book dragged for me."

Buggy, police procedurals are a big part of this series, so you'd better brace yourself if you keep reading these books. Like I mentioned before, I love that so I don't mind it. Plus, Roarke is Roarke. ;)


Buggy Thanks Tammy, you mean you feel the same, like 3 star same?

Dina- I wish I loved that because everything else is so good here (especially Roarke)


Tammy Walton Grant Hi Buggy - yep, like 3 star same. I think I'll keep reading them, but I'll be borrowing from the library rather than buying them. I have the same opinion of Eve (not sure I like her, I deserve Roarke WAY more than she does!), love Roarke, not sold on the futuristic stuff - it feels kind of half-baked to me.

I like the police-procedural aspect, but also like you wish there was way more romance to it. I will probably read them all (should keep me busy for a couple of years, I thinks NR is on #30) - my aunt recommended them to me and she assures me that Eve grows on you.


message 9: by Buggy (last edited Sep 04, 2010 11:33AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Buggy Tammy- Yeah the library is a good idea. The thing is... I'm really curious about Roarke and Eve's relationship and how it continues and remains interesting (from what I've been told) for 30 books. However I just don't think I could take 30 more murder investigations.

Its too bad I couldn't just get all the romance highlights in one book. Kinda like eating dessert without eating your dinner.


Tammy Walton Grant Exactly! I would buy THAT book, lol.


message 11: by Jasmin (new)

Jasmin aw it seems i have to get on the in death bandwagon :/


Buggy Jasmin just be aware before you start that this series that it's 30+ books long now. Its overwhelming and potentially an expensive series to get hooked on.


Nissie Great review! I love Roarke! I think more people may be in love with him than any other hero in the history of literature!


message 14: by Jasmin (new)

Jasmin is it really hooking? hmm, i do believe I have a quite looooooong life ahead of me. They say life is short, so I have to read all the good books I could get my hands on. This seems to be one of them. sorry for the paradox, but u get my gist :)


Nissie I think it is. I don't LOVE Eve and the mysteries are sometimes meh, but Roarke makes up for all that! :)


message 16: by Jasmin (new)

Jasmin this Roarke sounds interesting. Think I'll jump in soon! hehe. ;))


message 17: by Buggy (last edited Sep 05, 2010 10:41PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Buggy Thanks Nissie I would have to agree with you. I'm reading this series exclusively for Roarke. The other great literary hero (crush) is of course Bones...


message 18: by Jasmin (new)

Jasmin Aha! This Roarke really is blowing up my curiosity too much. :o


Nissie All this is making me want to go back and read them all again and get the ones I don't have yet! Maybe I can work them all into a challenge for October :) Are you talking about Bones in the Jeaniene Frost series?


Buggy He is perfect, really but with a dark mystery side too.


message 21: by Buggy (last edited Sep 05, 2010 10:44PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Buggy Nissie have you read far into the series? I'm wondering if Roarke remains interesting and if so just how he does for 30 books??

---Yes, that Bones


message 22: by Jasmin (new)

Jasmin Wee! My standards for this Roarke person is as high as the moon. Guess I'll see. haha. :D


Alex is The Romance Fox Great review Buggy.
I love NR and I tried this series but I just could not get into it. I think I gave up after dragging thru bk 1 and 2.


Buggy farmwifetwo wrote: "I always think you should read the first 3 books. I started when book 4 just came out in the land before iPad's, smartphones etc which added a better place/time description. Now it's all commonplac..."

I think I'll give this series one more book, because of Roarke. I love your take on the autochef!


Buggy Alex is The Romance Fox wrote: "Great review Buggy.
I love NR and I tried this series but I just could not get into it. I think I gave up after dragging thru bk 1 and 2."


Thanks so much Alex, Glad I'm not alone. I can't imagine how this series has made it like 30 books or something.


message 26: by Ren (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ren I know some NR readers find it's diificult to get into this series, but I hope you will try to read the next book, Buggy :). Even I give Glory in Death 5 stars, the part when Eve and Roarke had a fight literally broke my heart, and its my less favorite part from them.


Buggy Ren wrote: "I know some NR readers find it's diificult to get into this series, but I hope you will try to read the next book, Buggy :). Even I give Glory in Death 5 stars, the part when Eve and Roarke had a f..."

Thanks Ren, Okay you've convinced me:)


Buggy farmwifetwo wrote: "Buggy wrote: "I think I'll give this series one more book, because of Roarke. I love your take on the autochef!"

The books are mystery stories with romance and character growth - the last missing ..."


I like that you say there's no magic solve because that is something that drives me crazy.(along with the false break up) I may just have to seek out some more of these from my fav 2nd hand bookstore


back to top