Sara's Reviews > After the Fire

May 15, 2010

it was ok
bookshelves: romantic-suspense, waste-of-my-time
Read from May 15 to 18, 2010

** spoiler alert ** The whole time i was reading this book I felt like I was reading something from the beginning of Kathryn Shay's writing career. Which may be so since this is the only book I have read by her and I haven't looked into her work. Although, I do have to say that I was interested enough in her style that this probably won't be the last book by her that I will read.
The story itself moved a bit slow. It starts out with the fire and the siblings planning on changing their lives but nothing happened for almost 100 pages after that decision. I did, however, like the fact that the book wasn't centered on just one romance. That can get boring sometimes, especially when nothing else is happening in the book.
Something that I didn't like about the book was that there was a certain mystery behind the fires that wasn't talked about. Those fires were a major part of the book and had I not read the preview to the sequal I would have been very dissapointed. Kathryn Shay spends some time talking about the fires, the second specifically, but never hints at something being behind them. she could have set up the next book a little bit better if she talked about something sinester being behind those fires so that the next book doesn't just come out of left field.
Another thing that could have been improved upon is the ending. The book just kinda ends in the middle of nowhere with a lot of unresolved issues. The main one being what happens with Zach. The way the book ends with him still being so depressed you don't know whether he's gonna end up with his ex or that woman from the fire department or if he's gonna end up killing himself. Although she does talk about Zach in the next book she shouldn't talk about him that much if she's not going to resolve his story in the book. That is one of the main reason I looked for the next book... I don't like unresolved issues.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read After the Fire.

05/15/2010 page 12