Silver's Reviews > Jude the Obscure

Jude the Obscure by Thomas Hardy

Mar 31, 2011

bookshelves: 1001books, victorian
Read from March 06 to 31, 2011

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Jude the Obscure.

03/11/2011 page 96
show 4 hidden updates…

Kellyflower This was my favorite out of Thomas Hardy's books. Although it has the book character I hated most out of all the books I've read, Sue Bridehead. I really loathe her.

Silver I have to admit thus far in the book I acutally quite like her. Jude on the other hand tends to irk my nerves though I do not altogether dislike him.

message 3: by Josh (new)

Josh Not sure if you remember how far you were into it when you wrote this, but I'm curious as to whether your thoughts on the characters changed.

Silver Josh wrote: "Not sure if you remember how far you were into it when you wrote this, but I'm curious as to whether your thoughts on the characters changed."

It has been a while since I have read it, but I have to say that I think my opinion more or less stayed the same. While as the story progressed I did at points come to find Sue to grate on my nerves, I cannot say I ever came to all out dislike like her, she could be frustrating at times, and yet I still there were aspects of her of which I quite liked. As far as Jude went, I never really warmed up to him, and I found he often continued to irritate me throughout the book.

message 5: by Josh (new)

Josh Interesting. It took me a while to warm up to Jude but I think he's a great character. Sue, on the other hand, I liked at first but then she became insufferable to me (though she was fleshed out and complex, which is a plus). It's good to see that we both rated the novel so highly despite conflicting opinions.

Silver Josh wrote: "Interesting. It took me a while to warm up to Jude but I think he's a great character. Sue, on the other hand, I liked at first but then she became insufferable to me (though she was fleshed out an..."

I generally have this sort of love hate relationship with Hardy, I think he is a great writer and I love his stories, and his writing styles, but I have a lot of trouble with his characters. I rarely find them all together likeable or sympathetic.