Bethany's Reviews > Godmother: The Secret Cinderella Story

Godmother by Carolyn Turgeon

May 15, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: favorites

This book was absolutely beautifully written...until maybe the last 10 pages. Despite its cheerful and happy looking cover, the story is dark and somewhat tragic.
Lil is an old woman living in New York City...and she has been living in New York City for a few hundred years. Because of her failure to help Cinderella to go to the ball and as punishment for falling in love with the prince herself, she has been banished from her world of fairies and now has to live her life as a mortal--with wings that she cannot use and must constantly hide. She hates her mortal life and longs to return to her family in the alternate fairy world, and when an opportunity arises for her to redeem herself by helping a girl go to a ball and find her true love, she does everything she can to make sure that everything is perfect.
Then it gets weird. It seems like after Lil goes through all this trouble that there would be some sort of epic ending, whether it be positive or negative. However...I'm not really sure WHAT happened, exactly. Seriously. I have no idea what to think. The ending was so ambiguous and vague; it actually irritated me. I wanted to completely re-write the ending, and go back and read it again. I still gave it three stars because for 95 percent of the book, I loved it.
But really. Its almost like a completely different person wrote the last 10 pages.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Godmother.

Bethany Okay, good I'm glad I'm not the only one confused with the ending. The last few pages changed they way I looked at the whole book and I took it in a really strange direction.

Tosha The ending made me read it again to see what I missed. Still disappointed by the ending.