Adrienne's Reviews > Silk

Silk by Alessandro Baricco

2087365
Nov 18, 14

bookshelves: foreign-language, erotica, oriental, read-more-than-once, war
Read from May 30 to 31, 2010, read count: 1

Serendipity is a beautiful word which describes exactly how this book came to be on my TBR and then subsequently came into my possession.....

Beautiful describes it's sparse, emotive prose which begs the question 'how can someone write something so beauitful and poigniant, so hauntingly sorrowful, using so few words, and convey exactly such intense, desire and longing in a few short sweet sentences? ohh this story has captivated me in its' simplicity. Such an elegant , sensuous piece of writing really deserves more than the meagre 5 stars I can give.

Silk [Seta:] was my second 'Forgein Lanuage' book this week and didn't fail to impress me, as perhapes you can tell. It tells the story of Herve Joncour a french silkworm merchant who travels to Japan [in 1861 Japan was a closed country, no foreigners permitted to enter:] where he meets and trades with Hara Kei. It is at this first meeting that Joncour becomes enthralled with Hara Keis' concubine, a mysterious girl who he cannot talk to, or touch, but whose delicate sensuality oozes from the pages. Joncour visits Japan many times each time with with the thought that, he may see once again the girl who he has become besotted with......Alongside this is the equally moving story of Herve and his wife Helene whose knowledge of her husband shows great insight.

There are 65 chapters in this book yet only 149 pages.....it affected me deeply.

31/05/10

re-read again 18/11/14 I never ever get tired of reading this. Classic

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Silk.

11/18/2014 marked as: currently-reading