Kathryn's Reviews > A Caress of Twilight

A Caress of Twilight by Laurell K. Hamilton

May 15, 10

bookshelves: fiction, sci-fi-fantasy
Read in May, 2010

Second book: still trashy bordering on decadent, still packed with flowery prose, still moving at a snails pace. I think the whole book moved ahead about five days.

Some of it I liked. Hamilton comes up with some beautiful descriptions, and the confrontations can be pretty satisfying (Meredith's mirror-argument with her bitch of a mother is a great example.)

But good God, things can get tedious. In the first book I thought it was the endless descriptions that were slowing things down. We've still got that here, but now it's the arguments. Everybody has to constantly DEBATE things. Meet a new person, get into an argument. Find some new information, get into an argument. It's as if Hamilton has exactly one tool for plot development, and that's to have the characters argue until the reader understands what's happening and wishes everyone would move the heck on.

The book also could have used a good editor to point out some overused phrases. Hamilton falls in love with the accusation "..and well you know it!" around the middle of the book, and uses about three times a chapter. And people are always giving someone "an unfriendly look", or they're all "exchanging looks". It got to the point where I would imagine everyone carrying around a sack of tokens labeled "looks", which they would trade back and forth during awkward pauses.

The worst part was how Hamilton handled the ending. We're at the climactic battle...and it's cleared up in a chapter. No, wait, it's cleared up in the space between two paragraphs. One minute we're in the aftermath, and then all of a sudden it's sum-it-up time for two pages til the end of the book. It's disappointing, because the author is talented enough that she doesn't need to fall into these same pitfalls over and over. And expect more reviews like this from me because the story itself is compelling enough that I'll probably keep reading just to find out what happens.
7 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Caress of Twilight.

Stacey Manning Awesome review- very amusing and really accurate.