Tara Chevrestt's Reviews > Sources of Light

Sources of Light by Margaret McMullan

May 16, 10

bookshelves: ya, historical-fiction, 2010-release, arc
Read on May 16, 2010

This has been a great read and I highly recommend it for young adults everywhere. It's a story about Mississippi in the 1960s and the fight for segregation and how hate and racism affects all relationships, working, family, friendships, and community.

Samantha is 14 going on 15 and her after her dad dies in Vietnam, her mother accepts a teaching position in Mississippi. Samantha and her mom have different ideas about race, class, and segregation than the rest of Mississippi in 1962 tho and Samantha is about to find that out the hard way. After her mom goes to an African American college and gives a lecture, people begin attacking her mom in the papers, throwing stuff in their windows, and applying hateful graffiti to their front door. Samantha even witnesses the depths of southern hate right there in her local drug store while angry white men poor ketchup and drinks over the head of a young African American woman sitting at a counter. Samantha's school assignment is to do a report on the state of Mississippi and as she attempts to capture the state from behind a hand me down camera, racism and hate is all she sees.

On top of the race riots that seem to be going on right in her backyard, Samantha is also dealing with her first crush.. to a boy that may possibly be one of those angry white men. Will her personal beliefs take precedence over young love? She must also deal with a budding relationship between her mother and a young photographer.

Great novel. I only grew bored during one part. When Samantha visits her grandparents for Christmas... it really doesn't have much bearing on the rest of the tale... felt out of place. Otherwise, good tale and should be placed on children's summer reading lists this year.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sources of Light.

05/16/2010 page 1
0.42% "Taking a break from Juliet. Need something light."
05/16/2010 page 127
52.92% "wow. Very good book for young adults about the 1960s race issues. Should be required reading."

message 1: by Janet (new)

Janet I know how much you dislike some of our history and how mean people can be just because they do not like the color of someones skin. On that note that is how we became the America that everyone wants to live in.
We have went thru some changes and some not so nice but we have come out a very strong united country in most ways.

message 2: by Lance (new)

Lance Greenfield That's why I thought that you would both like one of my quotes (re prejudice).

I know that you loved my step-mother's poem that she put up in the entrance to her school....