Lyssa's Reviews > Android Karenina

Android Karenina by Ben H. Winters

May 24, 12

bookshelves: first-reads

*Received this in a first read giveaway*
Wasn't able to start this til a two weeks ago I'm really surprised that it's been this long and I'm still reading it. I've not read the original novel, so came into this with no expectations.

The robot/android angle to this book adds the little bit of sci fi "oomph" that might broaden the reading audience. That being said, I can sometimes infer what may have happened in the original novel that the robots are doing in this one (revolutionaries booby trapping roads, a miner being buried alive vs. the robot, etc.) I've seen other reviews calling it a steampunk version of the novel, but not being an afficionado of steampunk, couldn't say if that's valid.

I'm enjoying the book, but it's too easy to put down, so it's taking a really long time to get through. Why is it so easy to put down? Well, the shorter chapters for one thing, but also some of the writing can be so dense that it's not the first book I reach for when I'm trying to relax after work.

It's an interesting mash up of two cultures, and so far as i've read, Winters is making it work. Ultimately,it's amusing, but not a keeper for me - I'll be handing this off to my daughter or one of her friends
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Android Karenina.

message 1: by Amy Nielsen (new)

Amy Nielsen I like that, "it's easy to put down." it's how I describe a lot of books that seem to hang out in my library for eternity half-read. They're ok, just easy to put down! Personally I hated Anna Karennina. I wanted to stab my eyes out while reading it. Nevah finished it.

Lyssa I read "Hunchback of Notre Dame" and enjoyed it more than this book dense language and all. Can't say a book has ever made me want to stab my eyes out....lol. If it's that bad I get rid of it. As for mash up books, "Pride and Prejudice and Zombies" was a lot more fun if not an instant classic.