Steven's Reviews > My New York Diary

My New York Diary by Julie Doucet

Jan 23, 08

Read in January, 1999

This is the book that renewed my love for comics. I had grown up reading the superhero stuff and some of the 'mature reader' stuff in the mid-80's like 'american flagg', 'dark knight returns' and 'cerebus'. Then, basically, high school set in and i stopped reading them altogether. I would glance occasionally at an issue of 'cerebus' whenever I was visiting argos books in grand rapids, but that was the extent of my comic reading.

'My New York Diary' was the first sort of auto-biographical comic I had read, which by now is a mainstay in the alternacomics genre...but, Julie Doucet's tale of a Junior College student and her eventual move to New York City was everything a great comic and autobiography should be. Actually, I have no idea what the criteria for what great comics and autobiography are, but, I liked 'diary' quite a bit.

I should mention that Julie Doucet is an inventive artist. Her panels are filled to capacity with details. Every empty beer bottle and the assortment of junk that make up the background of that first dirty, dingey apartment that everyone has is drawn with care. The panels are cluttered like an tiny apartment is.

I can't remember too much about the story other than it is poignant. As a matter of fact, there's a copy of it at the kalamazoo public library...which is kind of mindblowing. I suppose it's a testement to how far comics or graphic novels and libraries for that matter, have come. I think I will read it again.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My New York Diary.