Claire's Reviews > The High Lord

The High Lord by Trudi Canavan

F_50x66
May 20, 10

Read in May, 2010 — I own a copy, read count: 1

Another really exciting read, and a great conclusion to the trilogy! Not every author can pull of a trilogy well (either the middle book is very weak, or the ending isn't too good) but I really enjoyed this. She may not be the best writer ever (more on that in a minute) but she certainly has some excellent ideas, and has a really pacey way of writing, that made me unable to put these books down!

The typos and errors that were prevalent in the previous books seems to have been almost totally remedied in this one, which was great. I noticed only a handful of mistakes, but nothing that detracted from the story as in book 1.

My only real complaint is that the way she forms romantic relationships between characters is not very realistic. They all seem to just suddenly realise that they are madly in love - which I guess does happen sometimes, but it is the model of every relationship in the book, a character just realising "gasp! I am in love with X!" when the other character has known all this time and fortunately feels exactly the same way. (I think the only other character that this is not applicable to is Cery! His feelings for Sonea are not reciprocated and his next relationship is an instant attraction on meeting, and they both know it can't last.) It would be fine if it was just once, but it feels a little repetitive when it is used for several separate storylines at about the same time. It'd be nice to see things develop more realistically. And also (a slight spoiler) - I am not sure I could believe that Sonea hadn't read or learnt *anything* about contraception, at nearly 20..!

I am going to start on "the Magician's Apprentice" (which I believe is a prequel to this trilogy) next. I hope that it'll be just as good!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The High Lord.

05/17/2010 page 92