Marigold's Reviews > Plenty: One Man, One Woman, and a Raucous Year of Eating Locally

Plenty by Alisa Smith

May 15, 10

bookshelves: non-fiction, year-in-the-life-book, food
Read in May, 2010

Interesting book about a couple from Vancouver, Canada who spend a year eating only food that comes from within 100 miles of their home. That includes ALL food - flour, cooking oil, everything. No coffee?! No chocolate?! Eeeeeeeek!! I doubt I would ever try the 100 mile diet, but I do strive to think more about the what and where it comes from, in my diet. Note "strive", not necessarily achieve at all times! Interesting observation from book - we now spend more time driving to the supermarket, parking, & grocery shopping, than previous ages spent in making and preparing fresh foods. Yet we've been sold the idea that this has liberated us from the drudgery of the kitchen! My mom was a first-wave feminist who never enjoyed being a housewife & felt trapped in that role - so for her, labor saving devices & pre-made foods really did feel like freedom. She did try to teach me the basics but I mostly absorbed that cooking & cleaning were no fun at all. So books like this give me a whole new way to think about it. Caveat - raucous? What was raucous? The couple are quite the opposite of raucous, I thought. The book is interesting & in places raises a smile - but it's not particularly funny.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Plenty.