Steven's Reviews > A People's History of the United States

A People's History of the United States by Howard Zinn

May 28, 15

Read in January, 2002

sometime in that heady, idealistic autumn of 2002 eric schleder and i were cubicle mates at, gee i think it was still pharmacia, yes, it was still pharmacia. we decided to read people's history in sort of a two person book club. i think we agreed to tackle 3 chapters a week. that was reasonable being that eric had a toddler and another child on the way and i am just lazy.

i stalled out after the chapter about Andrew Jackson, the man adorning our US currency 20 dollar bill. I was so outraged (yes stacey, if you ever read this, i will concede that I am generally looking for any reason to be outraged these days, and the moment i am describing could very well have been the genesis, the violent seed of dissent that was planted) at the slaughter of the seminole indians at his command that i guerilla tactic'd all over a 20 dollar bill writing in blood red marker that andrew jackson was responsible for the death of the seminole nation and proceeded to pay for my lunch at the cafeteria at the pharmaceutical company i was sucking so sweetly from the udder of, with the above mentioned informative $20.00

so after years of sitting on the shelf, i decided it was cold and snowy enough to hunker down and finish the book. i have been reading way too many 'self-help' and 'soul-searching' themed books lately. while essential reading for even the novice narcissist, i thought it might be good to read about other peoples problems for a while.

there is an expanded twentieth century edition that Zinn released. it takes us through the 911 era...a far more microscopic look at the last 100 years than the 100 or so pages it received in people's history. i suppose i should add that to my to-read list.

sd 12/25/07
5 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A People's History of the United States.

05/28/2015 marked as: read

Comments (showing 1-1)

dateUp arrow    newest »

Bobby this doesn't sound like a negative review in fact it may have been responsible for a great epiphany in your life yet you only give it one star?