Thee_ron_clark's Reviews > The Jester

The Jester by James Patterson

May 15, 10

bookshelves: mystery, action
Read in May, 2010

Every so often, I pick up a book and have a difficult time putting it down. This was exactly that type of book. I swam through nearly 500 pages in less than two days, dying to see the outcome. From start to finish, I was more than impressed.

The basic premise is that an innkeeper joins the Crusades to gain freedom from his tyrannical liege. He becomes disheartened after the first major conflict he is involved in and deserts the Crusader army with a few trinkets picked up during their victory in Antioch.

He finally returns home to find that his inn has burned down and his wife has been taken, among other things by a group of ruthless knights. The innkeeper sets forth on a quest for vengeance in a matter that is much larger than he initially believes.

There, I think I accomplished a decent description without giving anything that cannot be discovered by reading the back cover.

The only flaw I found in this book is that some of the tactics seemed played out and unoriginal. I suppose used in the context of that time period I can forgive that though.

This is a must for those who enjoy literature.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Jester.