M—'s Reviews > Door in the Hedge

Door in the Hedge by Robin McKinley

Jan 15, 11

bookshelves: cover-love, short-stories, z-do-not-delete

A collection of fairy-tale retellings. I know McKinley is not the sort of author to include introductions or author's note with any of her works — she seems to me to be more the sort who writes up her stories and sends them blithely on their merry way and if the reader loves them, great; and she doesn't, oh well; with little desire or need to pen any extra explanation or defense. But these four stories seem to set here so starkly alone. I would have love to have found at the very least a foreword. Maybe there's something more in another edition?

The Stolen Princess | An interpretation of the traditional 'fairies stole the child away' tale.

The Princess and the Frog | Based on the Frog Prince, and I loved both how the frog shouted at the princess for being stupid (well, she was) and how it was the princess who struck the fatal blow.

The Hunting of the Golden Hind | An interpretation of the traditional 'questing for the magical beast' tale, and I love again anew how McKinley's heroines are proactive.

The Twelve Dancing Princesses | Based on the tale of the same name. I love the backstory of the soldier best of all. This is possibly the one I love most of this bunch, but I think that may be because it satisfies me the least. It's a good story, don't get me wrong, but it isn't a perfect one and I think McKinley missed places where it could have improved. I keep fretting at all the details.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Door in the Hedge.