Charlotte's Reviews > Wyrms

Wyrms by Orson Scott Card

Oct 18, 11

bookshelves: sci-fi, young-adult-and-children, listened-as-audiobook
Read in October, 2011

Not the best sci-fi I've read. Humans came to live on a planet thousands of years ago and now Patience is the 7th times 7th daughter of the first space captain and her destiny is to save the world from the dreaded unwyrm. Or is it to destroy the world? In this alien planet with other strange sentient beings it is hard to tell what the true origins of anything is. The civilizations, the prophecies, anything.

Maybe it is because I listened to this book on audiotape, but I found the explanations of why the world existed the way it did hard to follow. Too complex to not reread (a hard thing to do on audiobook when cleaning). Also, there were long boring religious/lecturing monologues that had me rolling my eyes. In true Orson Scott Card style, this book has religious belief echos- mostly about the 2nd coming of Christ- that he seemed to try too hard to fit in. Basically the whole book felt like he was trying too hard and didn't have a natural feeling to it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wyrms.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Camzcam (new)

Camzcam read this in 8th grade and hated it so much that I was in my 20s before I was ever willing to read Orson Scott Card again...I think it's just a really early work before he refined his writing.

Charlotte Yes. My 8th grader was reading Ender's Game the same time as I was listening to this and I told him his book was MUCH better than mine. I'm lucky Ender's Game was my first Card (although I was also in my 20's before I read it).