Marley's Reviews > Kalki

Kalki by Gore Vidal

May 15, 2010

Read from November 21, 2010 to January 02, 2011

My early New Year's Resolution is to read all of Gore Vidal's books in 2011. I've started early with Kalki, which I'd put in the minor novels category. Although I thought it was a little weak in places, Vidal is incapable of writing anything bad, I loved it anyway.

Only Gore Vidal can make the end of the world a anticipated event, and with such engaging characters, to boot. Teddy Ottinger is ahead of her time and our time, even if she's a rather idealized version of Vidal, who showed some real chutzpah in creating her. (NOTE: I especially enjoyed his/her critique of 1970s feminist novelists. I read some of the "classics" when they were published and was not impressed)) As always though the author took on any number of sacred cows: feminism, sexuality, the media, celebrity, ecology, religion--and not so sacred: the government, politicians. I loved the "spies." Amelia Earhart takes on a great off-scene importance. Lots of classic Vidalian asides. It also revived my interest in Hinduism, which I lost in the 1970s. If you think Christian legalisms are complex, try Hindu.

So, is Jim Kelley Kalki? Probaby not, but...I also like to think of God as dysfunctional and screwed up as the rest of us.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Kalki.

02/01 marked as: read