jacky's Reviews > Adventures of Huckleberry Finn and Zombie Jim

Adventures of Huckleberry Finn and Zombie Jim by W. Bill Czolgosz

Apr 29, 11

bookshelves: adult-fiction, 2011
Read from January 11 to April 29, 2011

I was turned off immediately by the first paragraph of this book. It was just the completely wrong start on all accounts. Huck is telling us how he isn't going to use "that word." Well, if he means the infamous n-word that is so often debated about with Huck Finn, then that seems a cop out. Is Czolgosz trying to tell readers, "Its okay. I won't offend you racially with this book." That isn't staying true to the heart of Huck Finn, which a good redo, no matter how trashy the zombie part is, should do. Or, is Czolgosz trying to be clever? Is he trying to compare zombie status with slaves and plans to make a statement? If so, his execution is all wrong. And, besides, it is totally out of character for the Widow to beat Huck for any reason.

But, I was excited about a meshing of Huck and zombies, so I read on.

I enjoyed most of the zombie details that were added. Particular favorites where the eating of the Duke and King, and the hordes that come during some of the most violent scenes in the original text. I found the idea of tame zombies a little hard to get used to at first, but the way that they all were pretty much turning violent in the end made up for it. In fact, I liked the ending. It was similar to many zombie movies where you are left with a couple characters stranded somewhere trying to survive. I thought the setting of the raft was perfect, especially for the time period.

But, I didn't like some of the editing choices. For example, so many small, boring details were left in. Such as the long discription of the Grangerfords home and the town with the "chaw." But, the whole segment with the Wilkes and almost everything in the end with Tom was cut. I'd much perfer some of those slower moments to be gone.

Lastly, I at first found the revision of Twain's dialects annoying. I didn't think that it should have been one to increase readability. But, as I read on, I found that in many places the new material or slight changes blended well.

So, my overall review is that the big zombie parts were fun, but sometimes you had to wade threw long parts with little zombie action to get to them.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Adventures of Huckleberry Finn and Zombie Jim.

01/14/2011 page 26
04/12/2011 page 93
45.0% "I only read this while waiting for Mike to come to bed, so I'm lucky if I get two pages a night."
04/29/2011 page 151
73.0% "I got to just finish this damn thing. Its started going off track now, but leaving in the most boring details."
show 5 hidden updates…