Meredith (Austenesque Reviews)'s Reviews > Northanger Abbey

2073558
May 26, 10

bookshelves: jane-austen, northanger-abbey
Read from May 14 to 21, 2010

Living a sheltered and quiet life in the small, peaceful village of Fullerton, Catherine Morland, at the ripe young age of seventeen, is in want of an adventure. Since she is fond of horrid Gothic novels, the ideal adventure for Catherine would be one with sinister characters, secret mysteries, and many Gothic horrors! Catherine does receive an adventure of sorts when the she is invited to travel to Bath with her wealthy neighbors, Mr. and Mrs. Allen. Leaving her confined and quiet world behind, Catherine embarks upon a trip that will introduce her to many new acquaintances, test her understanding of human nature, and teach her that the real world is nothing like the fantasy world of novels...

Out of all of Jane Austen's novels I find Northanger Abbey to be one of her wittiest. Between her poking fun at Gothic novels and her biting social criticism, I experienced many laugh out loud moments! Moreover, in reading this novel a second time, I gained new appreciation for Jane Austen's unabashed sarcasm and sharp tone which pour out from every page of this novel.

In writing her first serious novel, Jane Austen focuses a great deal of page time on the subject of novels and heroines: (What is a heroine? Should people read novels?) I took pleasure in seeing the characters of this novel take part in enlightening debates and discussions of other novels whether it be a horror novel or history novel. In addition, I greatly enjoyed how warmly Jane Austen defends the reading and writing of novels in her narration and commentary.

“Yes, novels; -- for I will not adopt that ungenerous and impolitic custom so common with novel-writers, of degrading by their contemptuous censure the very performances, to the number of which they are themselves adding -- joining with their greatest enemies in bestowing the harshest epithets on such works, and scarcely ever permitting them to be read by their own heroine, who, if she accidentally take up a novel, is sure to turn over its insipid pages with disgust. Alas! if the heroine of one novel be not patronized by the heroine of another, from whom can she expect protection and regard? I cannot approve of it.” - The Narrator

“'It is only Cecilia, or Camilla, or Belinda;' or, in short, only some work in which the greatest powers of the mind are displayed, in which the most thorough knowledge of human nature, the happiest delineation of its varieties, the liveliest effusions of wit and humour, are conveyed to the world in the best-chosen language.” - The Narrator
Catherine Morland is an utterly delightful heroine! Some readers and critics may find Catherine to be an immature and inferior heroine, but I disagree. While it is true that Catherine is a little fanciful and young, I find her naiveté and ingenuousness to be endearing and engaging. In addition, Catherine's tendency to think the best of everyone reminds me a little of Jane Bennet from Pride and Prejudice. At the close of the novel, Catherine emerges as a perceptive and discerning young woman. I took pleasure in viewing the significant improvement in Catherine's understanding, growth and maturity throughout her adventures and experiences away from home.

Northanger Abbey is a stellar masterpiece that clearly illustrates Jane Austen's great genius. This novel will be sure to divert and entertain Jane Austen admirers no matter how many times they have previously read it before. One of the great things about rereading a novel by Jane Austen is that it will be never a dull experience; the brilliance of her writing will forever be discovered and rediscovered with each reading.

Austenesque Reviews

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Northanger Abbey.

05/14/2010 page 40