Carrie's Reviews > Geography Club

Geography Club by Brent Hartinger

Jul 03, 10

bookshelves: z-2010, outcasts, glbt-queer, y-fiction
Read in May, 2010

Several gay teenagers discover they’re not alone at their high school and form a secret gay-straight alliance, disguised as a geography club (a topic so boring no one would ever join, of course) where they fight about whether or not they should be nice to the poor straight nerd kid getting bullied because everyone thinks he’s gay. In the end, no one even comes out, they’ve just learned that they shouldn’t judge nerds, because like all nerds in novels, they’re actually really cool people.

I don’t like books with obtusely stupid characters, I don’t like books that get preachy when they’re trying to make their point, I’m not particularly fond of GLBT teen fiction that leaves characters closested for no good reason, and I think maybe Brent Hartinger should take a good long look in the mirror before he starts opining on fan fiction being terribly written and a re-hash of things that have already been done. Because seriously, dude. Look what you just did.

Disclaimer: I realize part of what’s going on here is Hartinger doesn’t write characters, and has said he struggles with characters while writing, and that’s pretty much all I read for, so there’s already no way this is going to work out, but if he’s going to be such a preachy, sanctimonious blowhard on the internet, I feel compelled to irrationally hate him because of one comment he made and later semi-retracted. He’s like my new Robert Scoble. Except I still hate Robert Scoble more.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Geography Club.