Lolly's Library (Dork Kettle)'s Reviews > Disappearing Nightly

Disappearing Nightly by Laura Resnick

May 16, 2010

bookshelves: paranormal-mys-suspense, urban-fantasy, part-of-a-series
Read from May 13 to 16, 2010 , read count: 1

They often say it takes a certain mixture of acting and alchemy to make it on Broadway. In Esther Diamond's case, this is a literal truth. In a refreshing change of pace in the paranormal/urban fantasy genre, the lead character, Ms. Diamond, isn't paranormal. Nor is she supernatural, preternatural, or anything other than a hard-at-work actress, tired of waiting tables and ready for her big break, even if that break means she's the understudy to a bubble-brained pop princess in a magic-themed stage play. Things seem to be, if not looking up, no longer looking down, when said pop princess, Golly Gee, disappears during a performance. And not in the way the magician meant her to. What first seems to be a case of Golly simply walking away from her life turns into something completely different when other "beautiful assistants" to local magicians start disappearing as well. When Esther is introduced to the mysterious Dr. Max Zadok, Esther's sense of curiosity gets her deeper into the case than she expected, to her dismay and to the dismay of the handsome cop on the case, Detective Lopez. Throw in a few incantations, some illegal immigrant magic acts, and a gaggle of flamboyant drag queens, and you end up with a madcap romp through the underbelly of New York's theatre district. And what a delightfully fun romp it is, too.
6 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Disappearing Nightly.

05/14/2010 page 101
24.75% "Cute, in an off-beat way. :)"

faeriemyst Did your library have this for once?

Lolly's Library (Dork Kettle) Yes, one of the branches actually had it, which made me super happy! Did I tell you, after I read Truly, Madly I discovered a copy of it at my library? I was so shocked, you could've knocked me down with a feather.

faeriemyst I'm utterly shocked. LOL They must have ordered it after you read it, Murphy probably had a say in the matter. :D

Lolly's Library (Dork Kettle) And rightfully so. ;P Oh, you better believe that bastard Murphy had a say in the matter--when doesn't he? >| Of course, I can't get too excited; after all, Disappearing Nightly is the only book by Resnick my library has. For every 'Yippee' book they have, they have about a dozen 'Well, crap, they don't have it' ones. *rolls eyes in exasperation* Oh well, even a minor victory counts.

faeriemyst Yes, count those small victories. Else you'll start sobbing into Ramses and we all don't want that. ;P

Lolly's Library (Dork Kettle) Well, I certainly know Ramses wouldn't like it. Do you realize how much time it would take to clean his precious fur of all my tears? :D

faeriemyst Probably about as long as it would Fuzz. :P

faeriemyst Glad you liked the book! :)

Lolly's Library (Dork Kettle) I wasn't sure at first, but it was just so zany and madcap, like a screwball comedy movie, that it just drew me in. :)

faeriemyst I had the same reaction and still think it'd make a good TV series. :)

Lolly's Library (Dork Kettle) You know, it really would! The only problem would be how much they'd screw it up in translating it from book to screen. :P

faeriemyst Who knows, maybe it'll be one they'd get (almost) right. What this has that (most) other books that have been translated haven't, is that it already looks/feels/whatever like it's onscreen.

Lolly's Library (Dork Kettle) True, but that doesn't mean they wouldn't want to dork around with it. Oh well, it's all a moot point, since, unless you or I came up with financing and a production company, it's not coming to the small screen anytime soon. More's the pity.