Darin's Reviews > The Folk of the Fringe

The Folk of the Fringe by Orson Scott Card

Dec 14, 2007

did not like it
bookshelves: do-not-recommend

I found this book to be very depressing. It is about a post-nuclear-destruction America where the United States has been punished for being so wicked. Pockets of people survived, and a large state of 'Deseret' has begun to thrive in the Rocky Mountains. This book is really a collection of short stories of the 'survivors', with a small thread that connects them all. It makes you think twice about how bad conditions might get before the Second Coming. But images of the Salt Lake Temple being underwater were too disturbing for me.

Also, there are some inappropriate adult situations that didn't need so much detail. And it cast most of the Mormon characters in a very negative light. Definitely my least favorite Orson Scott Card book yet. This is unfortunate, because the premise of the story has so much potential—which is why I read the book in the first place.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Folk of the Fringe.

Jenni Yes, it can seem very depressing at times, but I do like the way it portrays a people that have had the carpet ripped out from under them. I am reading it again right now, and find that if anything it is a story of hope. You have characters, that like in so many OSC books, he has developed to the point you feel they are real. You can imagine knowing them, they live down the street, they are in your ward. They are imperfect, but they are holding onto what is left of their faith.
How many times in my life has everything I thought I knew been turned upside down? (The image of the temple under water is very symbolic here for me) And how many times do I have to continue to hope, continue to come back to the basics of what I hold to be true? Just like those in the story....
I recommend it, but do so realizing it is not for everyone. You can't go into it wanting a sugar sweet, every thing is good because your a Mormon book.