Heidi's Reviews > The Art of War for Writers: Fiction Writing Strategies, Tactics, and Exercises

The Art of War for Writers by James Scott Bell

May 14, 2010

did not like it
bookshelves: books-on-writing

Something about this book really irritated me. Perhaps because the title is reminiscent of my all time favorite book on creativity, "The war of Art" by Steven Pressfield. Also the format: very short chapters focusing on one small part of the writing process. But whereas Pressfield's book is actually knock-it-out-of-the-park creative, this is nothing but a rehash of clichés and platitudes (sorry if you consider the same) on various aspects of the writing life. In my opinion, the only thing it has going for it is a catchy title (which in my opinion was stolen from Pressfield's).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Art of War for Writers.

message 1: by Nathaniel (new)

Nathaniel Bell did not steal the title from Pressfield. He had been collecting aphorisms on writing for years (long before Pressfield's book saw publication), and at the request of his publisher styled the book after Sun Tzu's well known military treatise, The Art of War.

Bobby Cooper I totally disagree, as Im sure a lot of others do