James's Reviews > Full Dark House:

Full Dark House by Christopher Fowler

2220109
May 30, 10

bookshelves: crime, history, mystery, police-detective, books-i-started-but-didn-t-finish
Read from May 14 to 29, 2010, read count: 1

The story opens with a member of one of London's most unusual police units being blown up in his office. He is John May, partner to Arthur Bryant, who now starts to investigate his death. The search takes Bryant back to the time of their first meeting in 1940. London is struggling to survive the Blitz when a beautiful dancer is found without her feet. Bryant and May's investigation uncovers a weird gothic mystery, involving a killer who appears to be faceless. In the present day, May speculates whether that old adversary might be the killer. He needs to solve a riddle that began more than 50 years earlier.

Although I 'finished' the book, I only properly read the first 300 pages, before flicking through chunks and skim-reading passages. The story is very long-winded, and by the 4th murder I was expecting a bit more action on the part of the detectives. I agree with the sentiments of a reviewer on Amazon:
"I got to the last quarter feeling this book was a good 25% too long, and that the whole exercise was an undisciplined, messy caper by someone with an overactive imagination but little clear idea what he was setting out to achieve. As well as being self-conscious, much of it moves maddeningly slowly and without a sense of direction or development."
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Full Dark House.