Jennie's Reviews > Gone with the Wind

Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell

Jun 23, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: civil-rights, e-book, fiction, classics, i-own, historical-fiction, read-in-2010, read-in-june
Read from May 14 to June 09, 2010

I must state this disclaimer before I get into my review. I have never seen this movie and outside of the “I don’t give a damn” line, I had no insight into the plot before I started reading this novel. I enjoy large books because of the character depth I find but sometimes they daunt me into not starting them and this was one of those books. After many people raved about Gone with the Wind on my online book club, I decided to give it a shot.

I hated Scarlett with a passion to the point I almost didn’t want to keep reading. The self-centered attitude and careless way she treats men and all those she deems beneath her made me want to suffocate her with her big fancy dresses. Her ever-changing snotty determinations of what made those in those lower classes adapted to any situation that didn’t suit her. She had such an unhealthy interest in Ashley that affected every aspect of her life. Once I got over the disgust for such a character I started enjoying the story and the shocking situations that it involved. The view of the characters being white in the Southern US during the Civil War and subsequent fight for civil rights was different and somewhat understandable. These people were uneducated and lost in their own worlds that had been unchanged for decades and through generations. Change is scary but fear should never be the reason for discrimination. Although, I just couldn’t stop thinking about what the slaves were thinking while their white bosses were revolting against their civil rights.

Rhett was an obnoxious man without consideration for what other’s label “morality” and “proper behavior” which is what made him so endearing to me. He blasted against society’s rules and customs. Although, he left many people in harms way sometimes and completed shady business deals. He bordered on what would be considered a risky businessman now and illegality. His interest in Scarlett was at first unbelievable but as the story progressed I began to understand it.

I am not a big fan of the way this novel ended but in light of the characters and their personalities, it is understandable. Now that I have finished the book, I may have to watch the movie sometime in the future. It was a well-written historical novel full of love, death and tragedy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gone with the Wind.

05/14/2010 page 60