Darin's Reviews > The Lord of the Rings

The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien

Dec 11, 07

bookshelves: my-top-20, good-literature-and-fun-to-read

The Lord of the Rings dominant theme (for me) is attempting the impossible, feeling the anguish of defeat, but continuing to try anyway. And in the end, when all is dark and gloomy, finally the happy moment arrives when you finish the task, overcome the trial, arrive at the destination. But there are many other inspiring messages and themes in this great book. Each reader will find their own.

Aside from the Mormon cannon of scripture, I have found this trilogy to be the most enlightening, the most inspiring, the most faith promoting book (it really is one book) I have ever read. And it contains no explicit references to religion at all! But Tolkien’s masterpiece (although he might himself claim the Silmarillion to be his masterpiece) is full of religious themes—although they are wrapped in fairy tale. Tolkien did not like allegory. But Tolkien did believe his works were ‘applicable’ to life. That’s how I read The Lord of the Rings, and I find all sorts of ways to apply the major themes to my own life.

I read The Lord of the Rings at least once a year and sometimes twice. Maybe some day I will find a new favorite.

Here are some of my favorite passages:

"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, a light from the shadows shall spring; renenwed shall be blade that was broken, the crownless again shall be king." A poem about Aragorn, but it presents strong imagery of another "crownless" who will come and be king.

"Fair speech may hide a foul heart." good advice in times when even the very elect are deceived.

"You can only come to the morning through the shadows."...The morning brings light and hope!

"It must often be so, Sam, when things are in danger: someone has to give them up, lose them, so that others may keep them." Frodo to Sam. But for me, it applies to losing your life in service so that others may have life and enjoy life also (especially in my family.)

"It's like things are in the world. Hopes fail. An end comes. We have only a little time to wait now." This is spoken after the ring has been destroyed and Sam and Frodo are left to die on the side of Mount Doom. However, they are rescued at the last moment by Gandalph and the eagles. Professor Tolkien referred to such moments with a new word he penned: "euchatastrophy".

"Far above the Ephel Dúath in the West the night-sky was still dim and pale. There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach." This happens to Sam in Mordor. It is my experience that the Lord sends these 'tender mercy' moments to each of us in time of trial.

6 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lord of the Rings.

Katelyn Oh my gosh!!!! I love lord of the rings the story!!! I love Sam and his loyalty and hope! I love pippin and how he thinks he's a waste of space but isn't so bad after all! I love merry and his fight for what's good! I like frodo for having the courage to take on a quest he would most likely not return from. My only problem was it was so freaking detailed. Good book but too many details. Maybe I'll appreciate the writing style when I'm older. But AMAZING story!!!