Dan Schwent 's Reviews > Deadly Edge

Deadly Edge by Richard Stark

Jun 15, 11

bookshelves: hardcase-writers, 2010, westlake

Parker and three other crooks steal the take from an arena rock concert. Soon afterwords, persons unknown begin killing the people involved in the caper. Can Parker stop them before he, or Claire, becomes another victim?

Deadly Edge was one of the best Parkers yet. While the heist was well written, as always, it was the cat and mouse game with Parker and his cronies that sold the story. Without spoiling too much, the penultimate confrontation in the dark near the end was intense! The villains were a little too close to reality, drug-addled psychopaths that they were. Claire rose in my esteem and was more than just a way to get at Parker, as she was in the Black Ice Score. As always Parker is Parker, the consummate professional.

Parker keeps rolling right along. If you liked the previous volumes, you'll be getting this no matter how I rate it. If you only get three or four Parker books, this would be one of the must-gets.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Deadly Edge.

08/09/2010 page 1
show 7 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Mohammed What? This cant be the new reprint versions already ?

message 2: by Dan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dan Schwent Sure is. I got Deadly Edge, Slayground, and the Plunder Squad in the mail last Thursday.

message 3: by Mohammed (last edited Aug 10, 2010 05:25AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mohammed How ? An earlier realese like when May realeses came out earlier ?
This should mean my bookstore should get them in few days if they are already out. Man September realese date fooled me i cant be book broke when there are new Parkers:P

You are ahead of me now, i have been a fan two years earlier hehe. Wasnt i who told you about Parker series ?

message 4: by Dan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dan Schwent Yeah. They were released ahead of schedule.

message 5: by Mohammed (last edited Aug 10, 2010 08:25AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mohammed Dan wrote: "Yeah. They were released ahead of schedule.

You were the one that first mentioned Parker, now that I think about it. Have you read any of the ones after Butcher's Moon?"

I did read the first 7 in Jan 2008 as expensive old second hand books but then i saw news for realeses for reprints and started waiting. Only read Chicago U books since book 8-12. Waiting 1 year and half for 5 books was not easy.

Heh not like you who have got 15 books since Jan 2010 :D

Trust me i have fought the urge to read old second hand books of Parker no matter the price but i controlled myself hard and wait the yearly realeses. Good to know you read the series because i mentioned. Remember my good taste next time i recommend someone like Ken Bruen :)

message 6: by Dan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dan Schwent I'm going to have to start pacing myself after Deadly Edge or I'm going to have a long Parker drought until Butcher's Moon.

message 7: by Mohammed (last edited Aug 10, 2010 11:22AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mohammed Hehe good luck with pacing because Parker is someone you will miss no matter how many books you read.

Do what i do to pace myself read his Westlake books, Dortmunder/stand alones,his PI like series under different names like Holt,Tucker.

Thankfully he was prolific,bestseller with actual quality in different types of crime.

message 8: by Dan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dan Schwent Butcher's Moon comes out in Spring 2011.

Mohammed Backflash (1998) is the only out of print after that.

I wonder if Chicago U will reprint after Butcher's Moon. They might as well complete the series.

Mohammed Fresh news from violentworldofparker

The next batch of reprints (March 2011) will be Butcher’s Moon, Comeback, and Backflash.

That will make it a complete collection of new books for all the fans.

message 11: by Dan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dan Schwent Cool. I already have Comeback and Backflash waiting but I might have to consider getting the University of Chicago editions.

Mohammed Unless the three new books that you just read didnt have alot spelling errors im fine with UC editions until i have to buy the books they dont reprint like the last Parkers.

Inner Layout,paperback type wise they are quality compared to mass market like paperbacks.

Mohammed I just finished this one and im surprised you rated this one soo high, i thought heist story,bad guys wise it was not near Sour Lemon Score and Slayground.

Did you rate it high for the study on the edge of Parker,what made him different from his partners,the bad guys,Claire ? Or the heist,the villains story ?

message 14: by Dan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dan Schwent The villains made the book for me, hitting Parker where he lives.

message 15: by Mohammed (last edited Sep 16, 2010 08:23AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mohammed Dan wrote: "The villains made the book for me, hitting Parker where he lives."

Yeah they hit where he lived sure but they were just punk kids to me. One damaged by drugs and the other was only half good as Parker said. There were some great scenes involving them in the end. But they lacked the smartness,the edge to be great Parker villains in my eyes. They made the book a little weaker to me.

I was more fascinated by how clear the writing was about the difference between Clair regular human feelings and Parker faking things for her sake. The villains being sick but naive in the end unlike Parker.

message 16: by Dan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dan Schwent My favorite part of the Parker-Claire relationship is the way he pretends to be normal around her.

Mohammed Dan wrote: "My favorite part of the Parker-Claire relationship is the way he pretends to be normal around her."

Yeah Claire has grown in my affections because she isnt only someone to keep so he isnt alone when he isnt working anymore. My fav part is too how he thinks he should pretend to like this for her sake. He fakes almost everything because he wants to keep her even if he doesnt need her.