Maria M. Elmvang's Reviews > The Man Who Ate Everything

The Man Who Ate Everything by Jeffrey Steingarten

Jun 27, 11

bookshelves: 2011, 2-stars, essays, non-fiction, owned-physical-book
Read from November 29, 2010 to June 27, 2011, read count: 1

I was tempted to give this only one star, but it seemed a bit too negative for a book I didn't actually have to force myself to finish. 1.5 would probably have been fitting, because at times this book was really, really, REALLY boring... the mere fact that I've been reading it for more than 6 months should be proof of that!

The book blurb - as well as the title itself - led me to believe that it would be a collection of essays about Jeffrey Steingarten eating weird things. I thought that sounded interesting, so when the library didn't have the book, I went out and bought it, even though I'd thought his other essay collection only so-so. And it did start out exploring just that, and was really interesting! Mostly to see which of Jeffrey's "will never eat!" I agreed with, and which I loved.

Unfortunately this part of the book was over much too quickly - in fact, it was only the preface to the book. The rest was much the same as "It Must Have Been Something I Ate" - essays about assorted odds and ends about cooking and culinary oddities - but unfortunately not nearly as interesting.

So give this one a miss, and pick up "IMHBSIA" instead if you really want to read Jeffrey Steingarten.

1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Man Who Ate Everything.