James's Reviews > One Bullet Away: The Making of a Marine Officer

One Bullet Away by Nathaniel Fick

Mar 29, 11

bookshelves: biography, culture-and-politics, history, military, death-dying-killing-bereavement, memoirs, regional
Recommended for: Anyone
Read in January, 2006

As a retired Marine officer myself, I believe this may be the best job I've seen yet of getting inside the mind of a Marine leader. Nathaniel Fick is smart, caring, conscientious, brave, and introspective. Upon leaving the Corps he went to grad school with the goal of getting into politics, and I hope to hear his name a lot in the years to come - he has much more to give our country.
Incidentally, in another book titled Generation Kill, you can get the perspective of a reporter attached to Lt. Fick's unit on his character and performance during the same period Fick writes about in One Bullet Away; he earned that writer's liking and respect too.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read One Bullet Away.

message 1: by Nelson (new) - added it

Nelson Amazing review! and thank you for your service sir. I plan to be a USMC officer myself.

James Good luck, Nelson - what commissioning program will you pursue? Do you know what occupational field you want to go into?

message 3: by Nelson (new) - added it

Nelson Im going to pursue a 4-year college with NROTC program. And I plan to be infantry and later on move to reconnaissance. I believe what I said was true I've been researching alot lately and I have I no doubt in my mind I want to serve my country :)

message 4: by James (last edited May 04, 2014 10:16PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

James That's a good way to go, maybe the most widely used path. Starting in the infantry is good, too. Entering via the NROTC means starting with a 3-year reserve (USMCR) commission. You'll be on active duty for the whole 3 years, the first 9-12 months of which will be spent in The Basic School and then your MOS school, then the remaining time in the FMF (Fleet Marine Force.)

At the 3-year mark you'll have to apply for augmentation, i.e. switching from a reserve to a regular USMC commission. Selection for augmentation is very competitive, and for a lot of lieutenants in the combat arms MOS fields, e.g. infantry, they can only have the regular commission if they switch to another field, like intel. So your aims make sense.

Good luck!

message 5: by Nelson (new) - added it

Nelson Thank you for your advice! God bless you and thank you for your service :)