Keith's Reviews > Royal Alchemy

Royal Alchemy by Carmenica Diaz

Sep 17, 10

bookshelves: lgbt-romance, lgbt, my-ebooks
Read on September 16, 2010

This book is set in England in 1913 in an alternative earth where alchemy exists, the ability to transmute metals and even flesh into other things. The main character of the story is transmuted by enemies of the British Empire who mistaked him for Prince Albert, the Prince of England. Eventually he finds out that he was transmuted in a female and gradually learns to accept his fate.

I was surprised on how well written this book was. The characters had more depth to them then many other self-published books I've read. The reader really can feel the emotion of the characters Diaz pens. There isn't any erotica in the book at all and the romance doesn't actually start to happen until more then two-thirds into the book. Yet, the book deals gender and social-political issues that keeps the reader entertained.

The only thing I was really put off with was that the book is written in the first person, which I usually don't care for. Yet, after a few pages into the story it didn't become much of a concern. I'm looking forward to reading the second part of this three part series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Royal Alchemy.