Simay Yildiz's Reviews > The Carrie Diaries

The Carrie Diaries by Candace Bushnell

Jun 07, 10

bookshelves: ya-eh
Read from June 04 to 07, 2010

I didn't really like this one. If it wasn't Carrie Bradshaw, I would've put it down and moved onto a different book after like the 4th chapter. I haven't read any of the Sex & the City books, so I don't know how different the HBO Carrie is compared to the books, but the girl in this book so didn't feel like her.

I got the feeling Candace Bushnell tried too hard for Carrie to look like she's any other girl. Since we know what she turns out to be from the TV shows, it just wasn't convincing at all. One of the things that really bugged me was, how does one go from cooking Julia Child meals to keeping sweaters in their stove? Even the mentions of the fashion bits in the book felt forced.

I just found teenage Carrie more annoying than her adult self (she's always been my least favorite character on the show), and her friends were just as annoying.

The surprise in the end was rather nice, and I think I'll enjoy her New York days more than this one. I was too excited, I guess, because it's even translated to Turkish already.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Carrie Diaries.

06/05/2010 page 131