Danine's Reviews > Winkie

bookshelves: favorites
Recommended to Danine by: Kate
Recommended for: Che & Tara
Read in March, 2008

I adore this book. A unique anthropomorphic tale of a teddy bear who decided to take his life in his own paws. He is loved and neglected and the neglect drives him to jump on the lonely shelf he was placed on for several years. He wishes for freedom, food and to learn how to poo-poo.

There is some philosophy but the book is not heavily laden with philosophical ramblings as some of the previous reviewers have spoke about. It makes you think just a teeny tiny bit and if that's too much from a book it's best not to read this. It's fictional story. Keep that in mind.

The forensic photography and sketches add a humorous touch to the book. It is a satire of the time we live in and the talk of terrorists. I won't get too into the politics of the Winkie trial but it proves that even in a fictional book about a stuffed animal we (society and even humanity) love witch hunts. We love that kind of stuff. Think of it, Osama Bin Laden and stuffed teddy bears trying to destroy our way of life.

I enjoyed baby Winkie's writing and the memories that flooded back from childhood about my stuffed animal friends having feelings and souls.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Winkie.