Morgen's Reviews > A River in the Sky

202105
May 13, 2010

it was ok
Read in May, 2010 — I own a copy

** spoiler alert ** I was so excited to see a new Amelia Peabody book. After book #18, I was truly hoping for more of the King Tut intrigue.
However, this book goes back in the Peabody timeline, to years before Tut is discovered.
I was disappointed, to be honest. Since we knew the future for the main characters, there wasn't much suspense when they were in danger. Plus, it just didn't seem to really 'go' anywhere. Why interrupt the possibilities of the Amelia and Emerson and the gang at Tut's discovery to go back into a seemingly pointless aside? If they had been involved in some great artifact mystery or if something life-changing had happened during the course of this book for some characters, it might have been worth it. But nothing important enough to merit a diversion into the storyline's past seemed to happen.
It seemed like this was a manuscript one of Peters' associates found in a drawer and published. Yes, it was nice to re-visit Amelia & company, and if reading the series in the chronological order of the events (not publishing dates), it would be an okay read - not one of Peters' best, but an okay read - but for someone expecting a continuation of the story after Tomb Of The Golden Bird (like I was), you're in for a disappointment.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A River in the Sky.