Joyzi's Reviews > Awakened

Awakened by P.C. Cast

Jan 17, 11

bookshelves: fiction, ya-books, e-book, reviewed, disappointing-books, book-series, guilty-pleasures, chick-lit, vampires, author-american, paranormal-romance
Recommended to Joyzi by: Youtube
Recommended for: Peeps who don't mind horny teenagers
Read from January 09 to 16, 2011, read count: 1

Book Review

***contains spoilers***

Pros
1. Rephaim was finally turned into a human being and OH MY GOD they finally kissed!!! Idk I can't really expressed my emotions about it. I really love that part, aaaaaaaaaawwwwww, it was just so sweet and I cried reading it.

2. Heath was back and it was very shocking. I love love love the twist on Heath's character and I really was excited for the next book because of it.

3. Kalona can actually go to Stark's body and they're like connected somehow. So okay he found it out when he was actually going to Zoey's soul/mind but what happen was he goes into Stark's. In that moment actually when Kalona do that, Zoey and Stark were like having sex and then OMG it was funny *inserts my uncontrollable laughing here* idk when I read that scene I can't stop laughing. OMG *head desk* honestly the way I imagined it was pretty hilarious like Kalona goes into Stark and Stark was like idk having an "orgasm" *insert my uncontrollable laughing here for the 2nd time* and because of "too much pleasure" the connection broke off *uncontrollable laughing continues*...

4. I also love the part when Neferet make an alliance to the white bull. I think it was also a pretty nice twist that I was anticipating for the next books. Idk I felt like it was a bit funny and also a bit "erotic" (or maybe it was just me *wearing my I'm a perv shirt* -kidding-) that Neferet was naked all the time when she was talking to the bull and I find it very shocking that she was naked (repetitive much?) but then she was like riding the bull. That was just deeeeescuuusssstttiiiiinnngggg!

Cons
1. Too much pop culture references. I was literally pissed off by the constant mention of Glee, Trueblood etc. because I can't relate what the heck are they talking about since I don't watch TV shows anymore. Also I felt like it made the writing lazy and crappy since these conversations were unnecessary, and will not contribute to the plot and character development. It appears to be a waste of pages and also this is just "stereotyping" and the authors violated this rule "Show not tell."

2. Grammatical mistakes. I was shocked that I noticed not 1 but 5 grammatical errors though I didn't have the book right now, so I'll mention stuff but I can't put pages on it.

-What it is? should be What is it?
-They's should be They're
-Forgivens should be forgiven

3. Zoey and Stark were incredibly horny characters. It was just annoying, actually I could have given this book 5 stars but Zoey Redbird, you just ruined the book for me. Zoey was like this "Okay so Heath died" --mourn for a moment-- and then --she get over it-- and then --she moved on-- and then "I wanna have sex with Stark btw." She's just really idk *head desk*, she's incredibly horny and also have an amazing bad history of sex. First she lost her virginity to Loren Blake who happen to just have sex with her because he was Neferet's lover and he didn't care about Zoey at all but Zoey thought that Loren loves her and blah blah blah *too lazy to elaborate* and then in this book she had sex with Stark and Kalona (as mentioned above, see Pros #3). Btw should I considered that a threesome? Kalona-Zoey-Stark threesome? Whaddya think?

4. Horrible dialogues.

Zoey- "Bull poopie" and "Hee hee"

The queen *who I forgot the name*- awful accent

-some lines are cheesy: RephaimxStevie rae, DamienxJack, ZoeyxStark

But still, still, still will read the next book up until the last book >.< This is guilty pleasure ladies and gentlemen. I'm addicted to it but I admit the books were crappy but I love 'em because they're funny, entertaining and I love Rephaim and Stevie rae's love story. I'm such a sucker for Beauty and the Beast type of love stories. Yeah these two are the sole reason I'm still hangin' up. ^^

Short Review
Okay I think this book is more of a filler and the things happened in this book was like just the beginning of a new conflict to the series. I'd really love to give this one 5 stars but there are just so many things that I really didn't like about it. *sighs*

I just wanna say that this one is a classic example of actually a great plot/idea however it was written and executed very poorly. My in depth review tomorrow.

Random Babbling before I Read the Book
I HAVE NOW IN MY HANDS THE COPY OF THE BOOK

*drumrolls*

WILL READ AFTER MATCHED
________________________________
hey guys i just found this book trailer on youtube and I'm seriously freaking out right now. The vid says kalona and erebus are like two souls that are separated? Is this true? Is the ARC available yet?

_______________________________
I want to know more of Kalona's back story. Also want to have perspective coming from Neferet this time. More stevie rae and rephaim on this book.
_______________________________
OH MY GOD.OH MY GOD.OH MY GOD.OH MY GOD.OH MY GOD.OH MY GOD.OH MY GOD.OH MY GOD.OH MY GOD.OH MY GOD.OH MY GOD.

*deep breaths, deep breaths*

Rephaim was the one on the cover!(Rephaim's reflection on one scene of Burned!)

I wish he will be human next time!

Gosh I'm so excited for this to come out!!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Awakened.

01/09/2011 page 1
0.0% "Oh mi gosh" 10 comments
01/09/2011
15.0% "Idk what to say but right now I'm totally pissed off with the writing style. I mean come on did they really should put references of Glee and Trueblood here? I don't even watch that stuff! Too many pop culture references Uggggh..." 4 comments
01/10/2011
50.0% "Everything felt so fake here, Damien and Jack, the twins, Zoey, Stark, Aphrodite etc. The only saving grace of this book is Stevie rae and Rephain <3"

Denisa Holy Shit. I was on my email checking the new books I see and your review is first. I read it and I'm going HOLY SHIT.
You spoiled it all! LMAO
But w/e I LOVE SPOILERS!
OMG I can't wait to read the part when S&R kiss! I have to wait for like two weeks since my friend's friends has to read it before me D:
I'm so sad....
We were gonna go to Costco to buy it but then we didn't go to Costco and now I am really SAD.

message 102: by Joyzi (new) - rated it 3 stars

Joyzi Oh sorry for spoiling it to you, but definitely you have to read the book!

message 103: by Ashley (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ashley i just re-read the forgivens part.
i actually think that's what it's supposed to say...
"she talks about ifS and giftS, but correct me if i'm wrong, no hey there Neferet, you're forgivenS."
(Cast 254)

the capital S means its the part in the book that isn't italicized. like, there are a lot of ifs & a lot of gifts but she never says neferet's forgiven.
idk how to explain it.

message 104: by Joyzi (last edited Jan 20, 2011 10:52PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Joyzi I think it was grammatically incorrect, there is no such word as forgivens

message 105: by Ashley (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ashley but if you really think about it, ifs isnt a word either. at first i didnt think it was right either, but, im pretty sure that what she meant is that Nyx never said that Neferet was forgiven. not once. but, she did say a lot of if blah blah.. & gift.. blah blah.. idk , it makes sense to me.

message 106: by Joyzi (new) - rated it 3 stars

Joyzi now I'm confused :) lol

message 107: by Bridge (new) - rated it 3 stars

Bridge Hahaha your review made me laugh :) I agree with most of what you said :D The books are ridiculous and cheesy and yet... kinda have a soft spot for them :L Have you read Vampire Academy?

message 108: by Joyzi (new) - rated it 3 stars

Joyzi Yep I have read all of them but I was disappointed at the last one :(

message 109: by Jade (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jade I was shocked to see Heath back again too! D; I thought we would never hear from him again :'(

message 110: by Joyzi (new) - rated it 3 stars

Joyzi Yeah when I've read Burned I thought his story has ended and I love that I didn't see the new twist on his character coming.

message 111: by Jade (last edited Jan 22, 2011 01:58PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jade Yeah exactly! I'm just super happy right now! :D And hell I surely didn't see the new twist of his character coming but I think it will make the next book way more exciting than this one..

message 112: by Joyzi (new) - rated it 3 stars

Joyzi yeah I felt like this one was only a filler like Tempted and the exciting things will happen on the next book

message 113: by Jasmin (new)

Jasmin horny teenagers? LOL

message 114: by Sarah (new) - rated it 2 stars

Sarah You really have a special way of making your review entertaining and funny. I really love it. And I totally agree that Zoey is just so annoying, she's ruining the book.

message 115: by Joyzi (new) - rated it 3 stars

Joyzi @Jasmin yeah the characters are just so horny but I felt that the sex scenes are a bit contrive to have that Kalona-Zoey-Stark "threesome moment"

@Sarah have you finished reading it?

message 116: by Sarah (new) - rated it 2 stars

Sarah @Joyzi: Yes and my review is out. :D medyo binasag ko nga lang yung libro. haha.

message 117: by Joyzi (new) - rated it 3 stars

Joyzi ah okay ganun >.<

message 118: by Sarah (new) - rated it 2 stars

Sarah Haha. Pero di ko pa din binabawi na like ko yung lovestory ni Rephaim and Stevie Rae. :D

message 119: by Joyzi (new) - rated it 3 stars

Joyzi Ako din yun yung nagustuhan ko talaga dun kasi sa Untamed ata yun parang ang tingin ko ke Rephaim e villain talaga siya tapos half bird pa, nagbago talaga sa Tempted, kaya kahit prang filler lang yung Tempted nagustuhan ko dahil sa twist dun sa character niya

message 120: by Sarah (new) - rated it 2 stars

Sarah Meron syang twist kaso ang haba nang nilakbay ko bago makarating dun. Feeling ko isang malaking filler ang Awakened. haha

message 121: by Joyzi (new) - rated it 3 stars

Joyzi Oo nga e haha, pero ayun parang dun pa lang yung simula at least madaming mangyayari siguro sa sunod, yung ke Heath at dun sa white bull

message 122: by Sarah (new) - rated it 2 stars

Sarah oo nga. Si Heath babalik. Nakikinita kinita ko na. haha

message 123: by Joyzi (new) - rated it 3 stars

Joyzi Oo nga e astig nga kasi kala ko wala na talaga siyang papel

message 124: by Sarah (new) - rated it 2 stars

Sarah oo feel ko guguluhin na naman nya si Zoey tpos maghihiwalay sila ni Stark. Tpos ggamitin un ni Neferet or Kalona or both para mapabagsak si Zoey.

message 125: by Joyzi (new) - rated it 3 stars

Joyzi hay naku si Zoey ayan na naman ang mga boys niya, si Stark, Heath at Kalona, tapos si Erik parang di pa rin aaalis kasi naging tracker siya di ba

message 126: by Sarah (new) - rated it 2 stars

Sarah oo nga e. puro boys na lang. masusurprise talaga ako kung magmamature na sya.

message 127: by Joyzi (new) - rated it 3 stars

Joyzi Feeling ko di na magmamature yun, there's something wrong about her talaga, kahit siya yung bida, tulad dito sa Awakened ayun ayaw bumalik dun sa HoN kundi niya pa nabalitaan na patay na pala si Jack

message 128: by Sarah (new) - rated it 2 stars

Sarah yun nga e. you nailed it. yun din yung nabanggit ko. kainis iresponsable sya tpos di sya makapagdesisyon.

message 129: by Joyzi (new) - rated it 3 stars

Joyzi Oo nga e mas gusto ko pa sa kanya si Aphrodite at Stevie Rae, yung twins din nakakainis

message 130: by Emy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Emy lol, your review sooo spoiled me, that I first I couldn't get it out of my head: My Rephaim, HUMAN !!! reading Burned, I couldn't wait so I'm reading the end of Awakened lmaooooo !! And, for "forgivens" it's plural like the "ifs" ;) gues it's helping. No grammatical pb. take the sentence as a whole like and put it on plural mode ;).

message 131: by Ashley (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ashley ^ that's what i said, Emy.

message 132: by Emy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Emy yep saw that, but had to check on 130 comments, sorry if I repeated it again ;)

message 133: by Joyzi (new) - rated it 3 stars

Joyzi I never thought that forgiven can have a plural form, I think forgive can be forgives but forgivens? really is that a word? even the GR spellcheck thought it was wrong

message 134: by Joyzi (new) - rated it 3 stars

Joyzi @Emy btw sorry for spoiling it to you but still I recommend you to read Awakened if you love Rephaim, you'll definitely enjoy the book

message 135: by Emy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Emy it's okay ! And I actually LOVED Rephaim's part at the end, just AMAZING, tears and all (didn't cry lol). for forgivens, I think that it's gonna be real hard to understand lol. because it's not the word that holds the "s", it's the sentence. but hey, don't think about it too much lol !!

message 136: by Joyzi (new) - rated it 3 stars

Joyzi yeah sometimes English Grammar is confusing lol

Courtney I don't watch the TV shows referenced either. Now, if they would have referenced Sesame Street, I may have understood. Like you said, it wasn't vital to the plot, so I just skipped over the extra bull-poopie. Hees-hee! Blah- I hate Zoey, 2!

message 138: by Joyzi (new) - rated it 3 stars

Joyzi @Courtney thanks I'm really lousy at TV shows ^^ I don't watch Sesame Street either.

1 3 next »