Sherrie's Reviews > Reading Lolita in Tehran

Reading Lolita in Tehran by Azar Nafisi

Jun 07, 10

bookshelves: book-club, non-fiction, read-in-2010
Read from May 17 to June 07, 2010

This was a tough one for me to get through. If not for perservering to finish it for my book club, I don't think I would have made it all the way.
There are several reasons why this book just didn't do it for me.
1. Lack of punctuation. Half of the time there were conversations, I wasn't sure who was talking or if it really was actual dialogue. The strange thing about this book was that in parts, it had perfectly correct punctuation. Then, in other parts, it was non-existent. Bad editing, I suppose, but it made it really confusing.
2. A lot of political talk. I am not a politically minded person and do not know a lot about Iranian history. Thus, there were quite a few situations here that either I just didn't understand or didn't know what she was referring to.
3. I haven't read the books she analyzes. Since I have not read Lolita, or any Nabokov, James, or Fitzgerald, it was really hard to relate her discussions of the books to the situations. I have read Austen, but even that didn't seem to help me...
4. Names. I had a hard time keeping everyone straight. That might sound biased, but I think it was mostly because I never was able to put the names to a developed character.

It looks to me like you either loved or didn't love this book based on the reviews. I do think she had some really good insight on the function of literature in our culture, but unfortunately it wasn't enough to redeem the entire book for me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Reading Lolita in Tehran.

05/25/2010 page 108
30.34% "Not a quick read, I have to read slowly and think about this, but I am liking it so far."
06/02/2010 page 155
43.54% "Going verrrrry slowly...
One week to finish (as I look longingly at my library books waiting to be cracked open)"