Carolyn (Book Chick City)'s Reviews > Sisters Red

Sisters Red by Jackson Pearce

Dec 24, 12

bookshelves: fantasy, young-adult, book-list-2010, reviewed-by-carolyn
Read from June 17 to 19, 2010

This isn't a run-of-the-mill werewolf book, but a very intelligently written story loosely based on the Red Riding Hood fairy tale. This is quite a special little book, from the depth of emotion felt by the characters to the attention to detail of their lives and surroundings.

I really enjoyed the relationships between the characters, Scarlett, Rosie and Silas. The relationships are quite complex and yet simple at the same time. Simple because they all love each other and would do anything to protect each other, but complex because they love each other in different ways for different reasons and this causes all sorts of complications.

It's not just the relationships between the characters that are complex, but the characters themselves. My favourite is Scarlett who protected her sister from a wolf at the price of disfigurement. Her face and body are full of scars and she wears an eyepatch to hide the fact she has no eye. Her inner pain and anguish over this is palpable and I felt for her so much.

The werewolves in Sisters Red are not pretty or romantic, once turned the soul is ripped from the body to reveal an evil creature with no emotion and no remorse for killing. These are truly sinister werewolves.

There is a wonderful twist during the second half of the book, but unfortunately for me I had my suspicions quite early on, but the realisation of these suspicions was exciting all the same.

The first and last hundred pages were just magic, but sadly the middle lagged a little. The two sisters and their friend Silas move to the big city to hunt and it felt as though that's all they did and it became a bit tedious. However, this didn't deter me from reading the rest of the book and I was soon rewarded with an ending full of emotion combined with life-like fighting scenes that had me completely enthralled and my eyes brimming with tears.

VERDICT:

Sisters Red is a fantastic read, with interesting characters and a great plot. This is now one of my favourite young adult books. And of course I have to mention the amazing cover - gorg! ;)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sisters Red.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Simcha (new)

Simcha Lazarus I've been undecided about getting this book b/c I don't read much YA but it does sound really good so I think I might go for it.

Makayla cool lol awesome amazing