Kemper's Reviews > The New Dead: A Zombie Anthology

The New Dead by Christopher Golden

May 16, 10

liked it
bookshelves: apocalypse-now, horror, short-stories, zombies

A decent collection of zombie stories with a lot of variation from the usual George Romero-style zombie apocalypse. Stand outs include Joe Hill’s story told as a collection of Tweets from a bored teen-age girl on a family vacation that includes attending a zombie circus and Jonathan Maberry’s touching Family Business. Surprisingly, Joe Lansdale’s contribution isn’t really a zombie story at all so it seems a bit out of place despite being one of the better tales included.
3 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The New Dead.

message 1: by Dan (new)

Dan Schwent What Lansdale story was in this? I've read at least two short stories of his with zombies in them and I wonder why one of those wasn't used.

message 2: by Kemper (last edited May 17, 2010 06:10AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kemper Dan wrote: "What Lansdale story was in this? I've read at least two short stories of his with zombies in them and I wonder why one of those wasn't used."

It's called Shooting Pool.

message 3: by Dan (new)

Dan Schwent I'll have to see if I have it in any of the Lansdale collections I have.

Kemper Dan wrote: "I'll have to see if I have it in any of the Lansdale collections I have."

I haven't really read any of Lansdale's short stories, but I just picked up The Best of Joe Lansdale so I'm going to correct that situation.

message 5: by Dan (new)

Dan Schwent Joe knows how to craft a short story, that's for sure.