kari's Reviews > A Duke of Her Own

2207055
Jun 02, 10

bookshelves: 2010
Read in May, 2010

This book fell very flat for me. It seemed to plod along at a snail's pace until the final few chapters. It started out well, with snappy dialogue, but when they all trooped off to Lisette's country home, the plot s l o w e d way down and it seemd like not much happened, other than the trip to the orphanage.
I didn't like the hero, Leopold. At all. And I didn't like his behavior. At all. Tough for me to want him to end up with the heroine, whom I wasn't all that crazy about either, when I simply didn't like him.
Eleanor could have been an interesting character, but I never felt a connection with her. For gosh sakes, she's 22 and being described as needing to paint up her face to be acceptable. Huh? She's 22! And Leopold pursuing a sexual relationship with her while pursuing marriage with crazy Lisette, was distasteful. Also, Eleanor allowing her puppy to mess all over people and rugs, etc didn't make me like her much. She seemed silly and irresponsible and honestly, if you're looking for a woman to parent your children, well, it would be a concern if she doesn't even bother to train her puppy, in my opinion. I did like how the puppy actually played a part in the plot, though, I just think Eleanor would have seemed a better person had she been teaching Oyster herself.
I did like that Leopold was tracking down his many illegitimate children and I liked the bits with his children. I hope there is a book about Tobias because he was the character I was most interested in.
All in all, I'd give this one about a 2.5, but I don't like it well enough to say it's a three.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Duke of Her Own.